Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting binding strips lengthwise rather than crossgrain

Cutting binding strips lengthwise rather than crossgrain

Does it make a difference? I starched and cut my border strips length wise so that I wouldn't have to piece them. I ended up cutting them narrower than I originally calculated so now I have more fabric than I thought I would. I am planning to use the leftover for the binding. However, I've never made binding from a lengthwise cut before. Will it make a difference in the binding, not having the stretchiness of the crosswise cut?

It will not make a difference -- I do it all the time.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    That's how a lot of patterns call for the borders to be cut. I, myself, actually like this way of cutting the borders better. You don't have seams, or less seams. It shouldn't make any difference. It would make a difference if cutting on the diagonal.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    you get less wobbling in you borders, actually you can cut everything that way

Yes, lengthwise is best for borders, but you're asking about binding. For binding you can use those cuts, and I would since they're already cut, but it is generally easier to have a little more flexibility in the binding, which you get by bias or cross cuts.

I frequently use lengthwise grain for binding, especially when I've cut lengthwise for the borders like you did. I haven't found it makes any difference at all on a standard rectangular quilt with 90 corners. The corners miter beautifully without the added stretch. Don't worry about it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Me too! I cut my borders lengthwise and use the leftover fabric for the binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
    It will not make a difference -- I do it all the time.

Blog Entries
    I used to use straight of grain cut bindings only. I did a baby quilt with rounded corners so I knew I needed to use binding cut on the bias. I have to tell you, IMHO, that binding cut on the bias is sooo much nicer to work with! I just made a rectangular quilt and I used binding cut on the bias. It has just enough stretch to it and I was able to get it sewed on just like that (hear my fingers snap?). I am a convert now to the bias binding!! I really don't know what I was so scared about?!?!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

i never cut bindings on the bias. I always cut across the WOF and don't have a problem. I haven't done a binding along a curved quilt (like scalloped borders or a round quilt) so I can't comment on that.

IMHO, lengthwise grain is fine for binding a square or rectangular quilt, and especially for smaller quilts. No problem. It is my experience that the larger the quilt, the more easily the binding will go on with either a cross grain or a bias cut binding. Of course, with any edge that is not straight, you'll want a bias cut binding.

And, of course, the above all depends on the experience of the quilter. You do what you're comfortable with, and what works best for you, naturally.
    MacThayer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast