Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting denim fabric... >

Cutting denim fabric...

Cutting denim fabric...

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM

Default Cutting denim fabric...

I recently acquired a few bolts of denim fabric and want to make an Irish Chain quilt from them. However...what do you think is the best way to cut my strips? Accuquiilt? By Hand? Ruler? Ideas?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I don't recommend cutting by hand with a rotary cutter. I have done that, and it is hard on the hand (repetitive motion, arthritis). If you can use an Accuquilt Go!, I think that would be better.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

If you don't have a die-cuter, and if you do use a rotary cutter, make sure your blade is sharp. Also, change the blade when it starts to get dull.

It will make things a bit easier for you - if you decide to use a rotary cutter.

Some people swear by the June Tailor strip cutting guide. (I have one, but I've never used it) It doesn't cut anything, but it is supposed to help one make even width strips.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I usually do patterns with large pieces when using denim due to the bulk you get at each seam. Denim us tonight I cut by hand and I use my spring loaded scissors.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

WOW, do you realize how heavy a denim quilt can become?? I might rethink the use to maybe something with larger pieces such as a rag rug.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Ditto and I like my June Tailor guide. I don't cut through anymore than 2 layers of denim. I always put a new blade in also.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you don't have a die-cuter, and if you do use a rotary cutter, make sure your blade is sharp. Also, change the blade when it starts to get dull.

It will make things a bit easier for you - if you decide to use a rotary cutter.

Some people swear by the June Tailor strip cutting guide. (I have one, but I've never used it) It doesn't cut anything, but it is supposed to help one make even width strips.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 AM

I would recommend a pattern with large pieces because the bulk. Your finished quilt will be heavy too. I have used denim and just used my ruler and a rotary cutter. Sharp blade is a must and I never cut more than one layer at a time. It's a doable fabric for a quilt with some special considerations.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM

I am cutting denim now and I am using my spring scissors.. and its hard on my hand and arm. I just rest often.. I with I had one of those fancy cutting machines. Denim quilts are heavy.. my sister has one and I just finished one.. but I like the way they look and heavy quilts don't fall off the bed, couch or your body as easily....