Dear quilters,

I am confused by some cutting instructions. I need to cut:

(6) 6 1/2" squares - cut on diagonal
(4) 8" squares
(16) 4 1/2" squares cut in half on diagonal

What is meant by "on diagonal"?

Thank you!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

After you have cut out your 6 1/2" square, place your ruler from the top left corner down to the bottom right corner & cut.... this is on the diagonal & you will end up with 2 triangles the same size.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

A diagonal cut is from corner to corner so you end up with 2 triangles. You need to be cautious because you will then be working with a bias edge. It would be good to starch well before cutting the diagonal.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM

I am not sure about the 6-1/2" cut on diagonal. But the 4-1/2" - cut in half from corner to corner. Fold one in half so 2 of the points meet, press the fold with your finger. If you cut on this line, you are cutting on the diagonal. This will give you two (2) triangles. Don't stretch the cut line because this is on the bias and will stretch. So handle with care. On the 6-1/2"
ones, I think they are meant to be cut in half on the diagonal too. Otherwise, these would be cut on the bias, meaning that one of the points would be the top. If any of the instructions have an arrow on, it means to be cut on the grain line. One grain line goes across the width of fabric (or where the fabric has been cut at the store. The other grainline is from top to bottom of the fabric or along the finished edge of the fabric. The finished edge is called the selvage and this is always cut off because it will shrink the most after washing and will pull or distort in a quilt and really messes you up. Check to see about the 6-1/2" before you cut. Hope I explained this to you so you understand. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:58 PM

Yes, the 6-1/2" cut on diagonal is really my question. I just emailed the class instructor to get clarification. All I have is a simple cutting list and I'm not sure if she is using the words" cut on diagonal" and "cut in half on diagonal" interchangeably. Thanks for helping me understand the I need to ask the teacher. :-) The class is in a few weeks from now, so I have time to wait for a reply before cutting. :-)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM

Maybe this links will help. http://quilting.about.com/od/rotaryc...g_shapes_2.htm http://www.ctpubblog.com/2009/08/04/...ing-triangles/
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

I would suggest you make a sample of these cuts/blocks first, sew them together and measure. I don't know what block they make but if half square triangles then the 1/2" doesn't make sense. If fying geese then the 1/2" might be right. So test some first to make sure the finished sizes are correct for the full block.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 AM

Holice, thats a smart idea. Your tip is one I will keep in mind for the future. But in this case, that won't help. There are several blocks. The cutting is organized by color of fabric. The first one on the list is black. Each cut tells you what block it is for. We are to precut our fabric and organize it by block and bring it to class ready to go. Most of the blocks are foundation piecing. This is a "New York Beauty Diversified" class. Thanks. Teacher has not replied yet, but I just emailed her last night.