Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting fabric for binding >

cutting fabric for binding

cutting fabric for binding

Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 PM

I cut it on the bias no matter what. I just prefer bias binding.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I cut continuous bias binding (2.5 inches wide) and can make enough binding for a King sized quilt from 28" of fabric (42" wide). I use Shelley Rogers' method (Google her) and it is the most sensible and easiest to follow of the many instructions and tutorials that I've seen. She also has a tutorial on how to join the ends so that it is flat and practically invisible. I can cut and press this binding in about an hour and machine stitch it on my quilt in another hour. Two hours - King sized quilt bound and ready to gift!

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/
I usually use this same method. Once in a while I will do strips and sew them together separately depending on the print.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:12 PM

I always cut bias binding. Just prefer it and find it always works out perfectly.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:02 AM

A couple decades ago, when I first began quilting, popular wisdom was, always on the bias. The reasoning behind it, (aside from selling more fabric) was more threads on the bias, hence, stronger. However, if using good, quilt shop quality fabric, and folding in half when sewing it down, there's more than enough threads to ensure good, even wear.

The only time I use bias binding, is on scalloped edge quilts, or if the binding fabric used would look better cut on the bias and I have plenty of fabric to do it with.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:20 AM

I always cut binding on the bias as i think it is easier to apply and wears better. There is a reason why the binding that you purchase (if you buy pre-made) is always on the bias. Another reason for my choosing this method is that I particularly love to use stripes for binding.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I always cut binding on the bias as i think it is easier to apply and wears better. There is a reason why the binding that you purchase (if you buy pre-made) is always on the bias. Another reason for my choosing this method is that I particularly love to use stripes for binding.
I do too! I found some diagonal striped fabric to try because I saw some binding that had the stripes going across the short way and I liked the look for some things. But since I like bias binding I had to find diagonal stripes to make it work on the bias. lol