Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting fabric into pieces.......a question >

cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

cutting fabric into pieces.......a question

Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 AM

I am not new to quilting BUT I tend not to cut my fabric until I am ready to use it in a quilt. I wondered why quilters cut their fabric into strips and squares etc BEFORE they know what they will make. Suppose you need it for a projest?? However, I think I would like to pre cut some of my fabric but not sure in what sizes to cut. How do you all decide what sizes to cut your fabric into???? Thanks for any help with this big move I am about to make :| :|
Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM

I'm no expert, but for me, whatever I cut ahead of time tends to begin to fray. Lately, I've been trying to cut as close as possible to the time when I'll sew.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:28 AM

I think that a lot of the quilters are cutting their scraps into the strips and shapes. This way, they can make a scrappy quilt in very little time. I personally don't cut my scraps because I am not into the scrappy anything.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM

I never ever cut my fabrics until I have too, like I have chosen a pattern and the fabrics.

Maybe you think when us thrifty quilters, like me, cut our fabrics into usable pieces like squares n strips all ready for a scrap quilt? What we are doing then, well I am is trying to organise and utilise my scraps a bit better, remember any scraps cost just as much as a yard of fabric!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I never Pre-cut fabric until I am ready to use it in apattern.

I do cut scraps into managable sizes and strips for scrappy quilts.
peace
Old 09-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I think that a lot of the quilters are cutting their scraps into the strips and shapes. This way, they can make a scrappy quilt in very little time. I personally don't cut my scraps because I am not into the scrappy anything.
Excuse me for asking and I don't mean to be rude but what do you do with them then? If you don't need them maybe we can do a deal on postage as I use so many scraps etc; on my Project Linus and Charity quilts, just an idea?
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM

When I started out I would cut my "leftovers" into strips or charms. Not any more!!!! I rarely used them & like to have the scraps for other projects now.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:45 AM

I only cut little odd leftover pieces into 2-1/2" or 3" squares and throw them into a basket for a "some-day" scrappy quilt. I would never purposely cut any other fabric, not even fat quarters, until I know what project they will be used on. Nothing is more frustrating than to find you have material you want to use but it has been cut up to the wrong size.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 AM

The fabrics that I cut into squares and strips are already scraps, and I cut them according to Bonnie Hunter's and sort them by size, then by background colors.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM

I never pre-cut anything...if I did, it wouldn't be what I needed anyway. :roll: I don't do scrappy anything, so I never pre-cut scraps either.