Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting fabric wrong? >
  • Cutting fabric wrong?

• Cutting fabric wrong?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM
    Power Poster

I do it the same way as you. didn't know there was a 'right' and 'wrong' way of cutting.
    Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM

I get my ruler and fabric mixed up on a regular basis. Not that there's a right or wrong way, but I do find it's more EFFICIENT to place the bulk of the fabric on the right and measure from left to right. But I instinctively, habitually start doing it the other way. I talk to myself a lot and one thing I frequently say is, "turn it around!"
    Old 04-05-2014, 03:37 PM
    Power Poster

Aside from being right- or left-handed, I think the method may depend on whether you are using the ruler lines to measure or whether you are using the cutting mat lines to measure.

Sounds like you are using the cutting mat lines to measure.

I was taught to use the ruler lines, so I use the ruler to measure from the fabric's cut edge (on the left) and then cut to the right of the ruler. The bulk of the fabric is to my right, but I am cutting the lefthand side of the fabric. (This would be exactly opposite for a left-hander.)
    Old 04-05-2014, 03:46 PM

No one has addressed this yet, so I will throw it out for your consideration. I'm right handed, and I was taught to put the bulk of the fabric on my right. This "protects" your cut strip because it's under the ruler. If you bobble, you can correct your strip, then re-square your fabric. If you cut with your strip on your right, any mistake you make ruins your strip and that width of fabric is wasted. YMMV.

Darren
    Old 04-05-2014, 04:16 PM

Cut what ever works for you.
    Old 04-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wesing
    No one has addressed this yet, so I will throw it out for your consideration. I'm right handed, and I was taught to put the bulk of the fabric on my right. This "protects" your cut strip because it's under the ruler. If you bobble, you can correct your strip, then re-square your fabric. If you cut with your strip on your right, any mistake you make ruins your strip and that width of fabric is wasted. YMMV.

Darren
    This does make sense. This is the first it was explained. Won't hurt to try. Just because I always do it one way doesn't mean it always works.
    Old 04-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Westing took the words right out of my mouth. I always cut with the strip under the ruler and the bulk of the fabric on the right. I tend to get in a hurry and sometimes get off track at the end of the cut. Also, I never use my mat to measure, I don't think it is accurate enough. I do use the lines on the mat to keep my fabric straight. I don't think there is any right or wrong way, only what works for you.
    Sue
    Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 PM

I was in a class recently taught by a pro and she was surprised (critical?) of the way I cut, couldn't figure out what the problem was, still can't. Maybe that's what comes from being self taught. I had to put off the beginning class I was signed up for because my machine is in for a tune up, I have a feeling I'm doing lots of stuff wrong that generally works for me. I need to have a humble, open mind and not take it personally if have some bad habits.
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Some people measure with the ruler others measure off the board and then cut. As long as we have an accurate cut and are consistent in measuring, it doesn't matter. Quilting is a hobby for most and to be enjoyed. Keep doing it your way.
    Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 AM

I cut the same way you do. I have watched the videos on how to cut the way you describe, I would cut my arm off! I am glad to hear there is no "right" way. Because my way works for me!