Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting fabric wrong? >

Cutting fabric wrong?

Cutting fabric wrong?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 AM

So I think this question really goes back to a previous thread of whether it is better to measure with the ruler or the lines on the cutting board? I always do it the same way as barking rabbit.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:14 AM

I mostly cut on the right, because my cutting area has spare room for the extra fabric to the left of my cutting mat. (I'm also right handed.) And yes, I often use my cutting mat to measure. I've found it to be very accurate, but also double check with the lines on the ruler.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:35 AM

I am right handed. If I am cutting something that can be a little off (HST's that will get squared, strips that are templates-think Judy Niemeyer), I may rush and cut with the bulk of my fabric to the left, using the guidelines on the cutting board. If it has to be "exact" - I turn the fabric so that the bulk is on my right and my ruler stabilizes the piece I am cutting.

I was cutting in the "exact" way in a quilt shop one day while I was taking a class. Another quilter came up and asked me why I did it. I told her it made me more accurate and gave me a chance to correct a mistake if I mis-cut rather than have to scrap a lot of fabric. First words out of her mouth....."Why hasn't someone told me this before?" Ironically, I figured it out myself because I was so good at making bad cuts that had to be squared up.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
So I think this question really goes back to a previous thread of whether it is better to measure with the ruler or the lines on the cutting board? I always do it the same way as barking rabbit.
I generally measure with the ruler, unless I am cutting lots of 2 1/2 strips. I found that using the mat keeps me from getting "wonky". Is the a quilting term?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 AM

I square up the fabric by placing my ruler on top of the fabric on the right side and trim by cutting to the right of the ruler. Then I flip the fabric over so I measure from the far left of the fabric to get to my cutting line, cutting to the right of the ruler.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 AM

If the pieces are cut to the right size what could be wrong! If you are comfortable the way you cut - go with it!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

since I'm right handed, I too place the ruler on the fabric and cut on the right side. then I trim the first cut to get that left edge straight. can't do it the way Eleanor Burns does. I must have my ruler level on the fabric for a cut. (yep, what Bobbielinks said)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Aside from being right- or left-handed, I think the method may depend on whether you are using the ruler lines to measure or whether you are using the cutting mat lines to measure.

Sounds like you are using the cutting mat lines to measure.

I was taught to use the ruler lines, so I use the ruler to measure from the fabric's cut edge (on the left) and then cut to the right of the ruler. The bulk of the fabric is to my right, but I am cutting the lefthand side of the fabric. (This would be exactly opposite for a left-hander.)
Yep, this, and the way Darren described, is the way I do it, too. I straighten the edge of my fabric the way you say you cut, with the fabric on the left. But when I begin cutting strips or pieces, I cut with the strip I want under the ruler, which places the bulk of fabric to my right, and I cut along the right side of the ruler, away from me. That's because I don't use my cutting mat's ruler lines but only the ruler itself. I do use both the ruler lines and the mat lines when creating a straight the edge prior to cutting out strips, however.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
What ever gives you accurate cuts is correct.
And as long as you cutting in a safe manner, that is all that counts with accuracy. There are differences between left handed people and right handed people cut by what hand they have the rotary cutter in. Just be safe.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 AM

This is what I was taught.
Originally Posted by wesing View Post
No one has addressed this yet, so I will throw it out for your consideration. I'm right handed, and I was taught to put the bulk of the fabric on my right. This "protects" your cut strip because it's under the ruler. If you bobble, you can correct your strip, then re-square your fabric. If you cut with your strip on your right, any mistake you make ruins your strip and that width of fabric is wasted. YMMV.

Darren