Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting guide for flying geese?

My brain is not working today. LOL.

I need to make 8"sawtooth star blocks. I would like to use the method to make flying geese that involves one large square, and 3 smaller squares sewn on the diagonal. (I never seem to get the points right consistantly when sewing small sqares diagonally to the ends of rectangle).
    This is the method I hope to use...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxnMv8U8Pjo

I have made 3 blocks, different sizes, and none of them is correct for an 8' star block. Can anyone help? :-)

Perfect! Thanks so much! :-)

Ok.........so this is NOT my day to be cutting a quilt!

Pattern states 8" block (sawtooth star) and advised to cut four 2.5" squares and four 2.5"x 4.5" rectangles for the "flying geese" of each star. I used measurements of 5 1/4" square and 2 7/8" smaller squares to do the no waste flying geese method.......and the flying geese completed are ohly 4" long. HELP! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jillmc
    Ok.........so this is NOT my day to be cutting a quilt!

Pattern states 8" block (sawtooth star) and advised to cut four 2.5" squares and four 2.5"x 4.5" rectangles for the "flying geese" of each star. I used measurements of 5 1/4" square and 2 7/8" smaller squares to do the no waste flying geese method.......and the flying geese completed are ohly 4" long. HELP! :-)
    The measurements you used should give you a block that is 2.5"x4.5" unfinished (2"x4" finished). Mine don't always turn out that way, though, so I usually add a little to each piece. I'd use a 5.5" square and 3" or 3 1/8" squares and then cut the block to size after it's sewn.