Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mat  - left to right or right to left >

Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

Cutting mat - left to right or right to left

Old 05-16-2011, 06:12 PM

I cut both ways also. The one thing I have noticed is it makes it harder to teach others. I always have to some and think when teaching because most want to cut only one way.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 PM

I cut just like you do. My newest mat wasn't oriented the way I liked, so I did what you did and marked some of the numered marks the way they "should" be! And, btw, it does help.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Doghousemom,
I'm new and I've been reading topics on the QB and ran across yours. I had the same question. I just yesterday ran across this video on About.com and it makes a lot of sense to me. Here it is: http://video.about.com/quilting/Roller-Cutting.htm

Note she is using her right hand. Also note the size of the ruler (big) she's using where she's using any horizontal line to line up with the fold and she's making her first trim cut using that method. Then she turns the fabric around and puts the ruler on her piece she's cutting, still lining up with a horizontal line on the fold. She's viewing her strip she's cutting thru the ruler.

I'm going to use this method without trying to 'trust' the mat's lines.

Please post on the Board of what you think.
Beaverlaker
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
I don't use the numbers on my mat. I measure with my ruler. Lay fabric on mat straight cut on my left lay ruler on fabric line up horizontal line on ruler with bottom and top folds of fabric. Slide to my right until I have say 2 inches under ruler cut with right hand raise ruler. have 2 inch strip. Does this make sence to you?
I agree with Gramie bj. I just finished a beginning quilt class and the instructor taught us to set the straight edge on the right, then turn the mat and fabric together (this way you don't lose your straight edge by moving the fabric itself) so that you work from left to right (and the selvage end is at the bottom of your mat.) She also told us to use the blank side of the cutting mat, NOT to use the lines on the marked side. Using only the ruler is the most accurate way to cut.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM

I never use the markings on the mat. I use the ruler only. If I need wider, I slide another ruler up against the first ruler. Does this make sense?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 AM

I cut either way and even use the mat vertically at times. Do what works for you best!