Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cutting mat question >
  • Cutting mat question

• Cutting mat question

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Linda B
    Those large whitish rolled up cutting mats at JoAnn's -- does that plastic get 'cut up' with a rotary cutter or are they meant to be used for spreading out fabric for pattern cutting with scissors like in garment making? I've been thinking about getting one but just wasn't sure how well they work. I was also wondering if the fabric tends to slide around on the plastic.
    I have one, and wanted it for rotary cutting. There was nothing on it or the (small amount) of packaging that said it was for measuring only, but it is. It is NOT meant for rotary cutting. I found that out the hard way. Everywhere I've cut, there are little strands of fiberglass poking out. So if you need a very large one for cutting, pass on this one, and invest in one that says "Self-healing".
    Old 07-09-2010, 05:33 AM

I love mine, bought it over 20 years ago. It fits and stays on my cutting table. I don't use it that often, usually have another mat on top, but I still cut on it occasionally and it is fine.
    Old 07-09-2010, 05:52 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Make sure you get a self-healing mat. The big white ones that I've seen at Joann's is not one that self-heals. Definitely research the brand before buying. There is a big difference in how the mats work. Most non self-healing mats will scar up and dull blades much quicker than the other.
    Lab fairy is right. I had one of the white mats that wasn't self-healing and it dulled my blades. I no longer use it but it came in handy when we did a jigsaw puzzle :D