Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting mat question

Those large whitish rolled up cutting mats at JoAnn's -- does that plastic get 'cut up' with a rotary cutter or are they meant to be used for spreading out fabric for pattern cutting with scissors like in garment making? I've been thinking about getting one but just wasn't sure how well they work. I was also wondering if the fabric tends to slide around on the plastic.

Blog Entries
    I have one of those--don't use it much because it's so large. Use it for rotary cutting or laying out patterns.

Are you talking about the over sized cutting mats? They fit on the cutting tables and the plastic doesn't get cut up and the fabric doesn't slide around on it. I got mine the same time as I bought my cutting table and love it!!!

The cutting mats heal themselves as you use them.
    They are well worth the price, cause I, for one, could never cut that much material with a siccors
    ]
    Of course I buy them when 50% off at JoAnn's

Make sure you get a self-healing mat. The big white ones that I've seen at Joann's is not one that self-heals. Definitely research the brand before buying. There is a big difference in how the mats work. Most non self-healing mats will scar up and dull blades much quicker than the other.

Blog Entries
    The large white one that came with my table is not self-healing and cuts very easily.

I have one from Joannes and use it on my big table where my machine is..it is used for everything, including rotary cutting. The only problem I've had is when a friend cut all the way through it! She didn't know she did it, and I"ll never tell her - while that particular cut didn't "heal" it is invisible unless I know where to look for it. If nothing else, the mat is a great work surface that proctects your table/counter.

?? Have a Dritz 20 yrs old, lots of creases, nothing slides around, can still see the lines.... she ain't no caddie, ole bess works fine. :)

I have a Horn cutting table and a large mat that fits it completely. It self heals and fabric doesn't slide. I love it and use it all the time. 'Sure beats having to get a cutting board every time I need one.

I have one from Joanns & after awile I'm sure they would get cut up with the rotary cutter but think it would take years. I have used mine about a year & it still looks new. One of the ladies at the LQS cuts their fabric for the store on one & she loves it. She uses a rotary cutter too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast