Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting mat >

Cutting mat

Cutting mat

Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Default Cutting mat

My cutting mat does not feel smooth anymore. I rarely soaked it and used it for many years. Yes, I did get my monies worth, but would still like to restore it. I just soaked it for a few hours and it feels a little better, but still not smooth. Lately, I have been having difficulty cutting nicely and my roatary blades are becoming dull faster.. Is there any help for my mat, or is it time to throw in the towel and buy a new one?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:30 PM

I would say yes time for a new one. I have done the soaking thing with less than desired results. Like you I have started to dull my blades at a faster rate because the mat has worn. I am starting to think even the best of mats has a life span shorter than they used to be.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

My old mat was in bad shape on the side with lines but I am still using it on the other side. Flip yours over and try cutting on the back. I did buy another new bigger mat but still use my old one for small jobs.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:17 PM

You could cut it in half or in smaller pieces and use it for smaller jobs. I did read somewhere there is a scrubber thingy such as a pot scrubber that takes the high stuff off. If it were mine, I would try to sand a piece of it and see what happens. If all fails, just cut it up for in the bottom of purses.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 AM

I, too, was going to suggest using the flip side. I don't measure by the lines on my mat so this worked out fine for me for a number of years longer before I had to replace mine.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Power Poster

I have a little ( tool) from Nancy's Notions, very inexpensive, it is like a smooth sanding disc with a handle. I've been using it for 10+ years. It works great to smooth my mat. Sometimes I am cutting wools, or silks which seem really hard on the mat, I just grab the smoother & fix it. ( and I've tried other products, green scrub pads, sand paper, ...nothing has worked as well as that disc)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have a little ( tool) from Nancy's Notions, very inexpensive, it is like a smooth sanding disc with a handle. I've been using it for 10+ years. It works great to smooth my mat. Sometimes I am cutting wools, or silks which seem really hard on the mat, I just grab the smoother & fix it. ( and I've tried other products, green scrub pads, sand paper, ...nothing has worked as well as that disc)
This is is intriguing. I turn my mat over to cut batting and I flip it around once in a while so I'm cutting from different sides, but I still have the faint rough cutting lines. I might have to explore this option.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

A smoothing honing stone works great. I found one in DH's tool box. I stick used mats behind my bookshelf to use for whatever. The whatever has never come so I have many old mats stuck back there.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

The self healing mats are great but even then after a while when one cuts into the "scars", they don't do so well.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have a little ( tool) from Nancy's Notions, very inexpensive, it is like a smooth sanding disc with a handle. I've been using it for 10+ years. It works great to smooth my mat.
I bought one of those, or maybe something similar, and it just scraped my mat up. I was really disappointed. I rubbed the lines off of an area with that thing, and it didn't really do much about the slices I was trying to smooth. I ended up replacing the mat and I don't use that thing anymore. Maybe I was doing something wrong? This is the one I have: http://smile.amazon.com/Colonial-Nee...s=mat+smoother
The reviews all say it doesn't harm the lines, but that wasn't my experience at all. Maybe I rubbed too hard? Maybe my mat is weird? (I use Alvin mats)

Now when I get slices I rub at them with a canvas scrap to get all the extra fibers out of the slice, and then I lay a warm damp hand towel over the area and weigh it down a little. I have a pretty large mat so soaking it is a HUGE pain, but spot-dampening like that seems to do an OK job helping it heal.

For you, OP, I think your mat may have had it. If you can flip it that'll give you a lot more life out of it, but if you're line-dependent, it's a good time to look for mats on sale or to put one on your Christmas list!