Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mat >

cutting mat

cutting mat

Old 01-16-2008, 09:45 AM

Hi all,
I have an old cutting mat, probably around 25 years old. It has got very cut up and it isn't self healing anymore, or at least not very well. Any ideas on how to rejuvenate it? I love it and really don't want to get a new one.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Ruthie .... I don't know of any way to rejuvenate these... I had to break down and buy a new one recently....I bought one that is usable on both sides this time....so now when I finish using it, I hang it up with the side I was using facing out and then I know to turn it to the other side the next time I go to use it...that way one side isn't taking all the beating.

I had BIG chips coming off my old one so was running into those with the cutter and ruining my blades.... you may find that you go thru blades less often with a new mat too!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks Patsy, I do go though a lot of blades. Guess I'll have to break down and buy one :cry: It hurts though, there are so many other wonderful gadgets to buy. But I guess you have to prioritize. :?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:42 PM

If you continue to use the old mat it will dull your blades. Buying a new one makes your blades last longer. Like everything else they wear out. I know one lady who treats herself to a new mat everyyear on her birthday. It is well worth the inverstment. Marge
Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 PM

Ladies
Just a FYI, I recently found out. A office supply sells, self healing mats. Yes they are cheaper. I checked it out for myself. I payed 50.00 for my mat at JoAnns, The large one. That was about 5 yrs ago. But I went to office depot the other day and altho they did'nt have the really large one, the had several different sizes, lower prices, as well as various rulers. I'm buying myself a new mat at the office supply, I save money there to spend more on fabric. And I mite pick up a couple of extra rulers, they have nice metal ones.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:46 PM

i too had to give up my old matt bought a new one then donated my old one to the grandchildrens craft closet that way when they are cutting ,gluing,painting i don't have to worry about my table and my old friend is still being used
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 PM

I can understand your reluctance to get another mat. I bought one (smaller than my home model) to take when I go to "off campus" quilting affairs. The outgassing from the darn thing is unreal. That being said, I would rather put up with the outgassing than a mat that is not performing up to what it should be. I NEVER want to fight with my tools.

M
Old 01-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Awful, isn't it? I think it's the rubber in the cutting mat. Smells like a sack full of skunks!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 PM

hi all, i take my old mats and use it to glue things on fabric and if i am making a crayon quilt i use the old mat to color on, i also use it when i'm sitting down watching tv with my husband in another room drawing lines for HST. a new mat is good investment
happy quilting Annette
Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 AM

I make sure to use the 40% or 50% off coupons I get for JoAnns when I need to buy a cutting mat or ruler, saves quite a bite of money. I have the 24" one and also the really big one, which they had on sale for $20 a while back.

They will also take coupons from Michael's, but not for fabric.