Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting mat >

cutting mat

cutting mat

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Check out a video by Alex Anderson on how to uncurl a cutting mat. I do believe her method does work....only I just don't remember where I saw it...maybe in "Tips".....
Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM

My mat got distorted sometime back when I accidentally left it in the back of the car on afternoon. Boy was I cross with myself. Anyway I have tried everything to take the kink (wave) out of one side of it to no avail. Even heated it and left real heavy weights on it but it just wont straighten. Guess I am up for a new mat eventually int he mean time I am still using it.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
mac

When the cutting mats first came out, we all learned the hard way that you can’t keep your mats in a sunny window or the car because it would warp. Mine warped as I was traveling to an out-of-town class, what a disappointment!

Since only half the mat was really bad, I cut the mat in half and use the good side by my sewing machine at home. The warped side I turned it into a small cutting mat on one side and an ironing board one the other by gluing the mat down on a piece of plywood with some really strong glue. I keep this with my traveling sewing machine. I made it over twenty years ago now and it is still in use. I like mine way better than the commercial ones out there.

I also had two pieces of plywood cut a little bit bigger than my large cutting mat for when I want to take a larger mat to class. I bought four EXTRA LARGE black binder clips and put one on each side of the two pieces of wood (with the cutting mat in between the boards). I’ve kept this board in my car during the hottest summer days and it hasn’t warped yet. The boards keep it flat and safe no matter how hot it gets in the car.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Unfortunately we just had 3 days of nearly 100 degree weather which would have been perfect to lay the mat out, but its cooler today but still sunny so I think I;ll try it anyway. I doubt it will be getting hot again now that it is winter.
I hope it stays nice and warm. Friend & I are going to Oceanside the 15th to see her sister who also is a quilter. Going to the Sugarplum Craft show while we are there. Also she has a bunch of quilt shops to visit. Yipee!!!
Well, it is considerable cooler today, and in the low 70's-high 60's next week. Hope it stays clear, though! Where is the Sugarplum Craft show held?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM

That is such a neat idea Mac, would never have thought of it myself. Thanks for sharing it. Now I just need to remember to buy some plywood next time I am in town. :lol:
Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Salem mats seem to be the best. I paid a lot of money 30 years ago for mine, and it is still going strong - never out of shape and is self - healing. It is thicker than the other mats and red and white in colour. I have other mats that have been given to me - not as good.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM

I put my mat out in the sun and it straightened out just fine...BUT I live in Arizona!!!! BTW, don't throw away your ruined mats. Cut them up to use as bag bottoms in purses.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM

I put an old mat in the back of my SUV for quilt camp, but when we got there I didn't need to use it so it stayed in the car for 4 days. Well, needless to say it was hopelessly curled. When I got home & was unloading stuff I just threw that mat out on the patio thinking I would worry with it later. Was I surprised to find it was nice & flat the next day. I still can't figure out why it curled in the heat of the car & uncurled in the heat of the patio. Go figure!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I went out and bought a new one when this happened to me. Now I know better.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM

What did you cut the mat with?
Originally Posted by erstan947
Since you have nothing to lose I heated mine with a hair dryer and put it between 2 heavy flat surfaces. It distorted the cutting lines but I was able to use the mat.
Later I cut it up and use it for smaller items that need to be squared up. Hope this helps.