Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Mats

Cutting Mats

When I started quilting I got the Olfa beginner's cutting mat & rotary cutter. After 2 years of abuse, it's time for a new mat. What cutting mat would you recommend, including size.
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

I have used several, but it is the Olfa mat that I really prefer. I have the 35 x 70 that covers my table. I would say buy the size that fits your budget. I have read good things about Martelli but they did not have one the size that I wanted.

I just purchased one of the large mats you mention, Camping Angel, how do you like it? It is still rolled up tightly and is one the way to my sewing room. Does it take long to flatten out on the table? How do you store it if you close down your sewing table?
    Charlie DiSante

Blog Entries
    I have an Olfa mat that is 15+ years old and another one about 8 years or so old. you can clean your old mat up with water and scrub with a nylon scrubbie. lay flat to dry. should come out good as new. i've never done that to mine but that was what a man at a quilt show was telling customers.

I have tried many different mats but keep coming back to the "tried and true" - my Olfa mat.

I have tried the soaking thing, etc and it helps but 'good as new' NOT!! It helps but I use my old one(s) for cutting fleece and batting. Olfa seems to be the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I have an Olfa mat that is 15+ years old and another one about 8 years or so old. you can clean your old mat up with water and scrub with a nylon scrubbie. lay flat to dry. should come out good as new. i've never done that to mine but that was what a man at a quilt show was telling customers.

Blog Entries
    Also check the back some can be flipped over . I like the self healing the best
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I am in need of a new mat, mine has warped something fierce. Ill make sure to look for the OLFA mats next time I am at the store.

Blog Entries
    Can't go wrong with an Olfa mat! I have several sizes and they just work perfectly for me!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have always used the Olfa self healing ones. Had good luck with these. Was even able to "unwarp" mine after leaving it next to the radiator in my sewing room. I agree with the others...it depends on how big your cutting space is. I love my large one.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast