Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Necktie Fabric with AccuQuilt Go >

Cutting Necktie Fabric with AccuQuilt Go

Cutting Necktie Fabric with AccuQuilt Go

Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Default Cutting Necktie Fabric with AccuQuilt Go

Has anyone used an AccuQuilt Go to cut quilt pieces from deconstructed men's neckties? If you have, would you please share your experience. Thank you so much.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im curious to hear too...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:17 AM

I have not used Accuquilt, but I can say that when I made my necktie quilt, I didn't cut without adding fusible to the back first.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I have not used Accuquilt, but I can say that when I made my necktie quilt, I didn't cut without adding fusible to the back first.
This years resolution.....why the fusible...interfacing, I presume.......is it because then tie is cut on bias?
I too have GO and might use it but have not decided on what pattern(s) to use yet....
Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 AM

Interesting question. I am collecting ties that will some day be a quilt and have thought about how to prepare them for cutting. It never occurred to me to use my GO, but it is a good idea. The ties I am collecting are all silk and bias cut. They will need interfacing of some sort to stabilize them before cutting, so I plan to use a nonwoven fusible. It seems to me that they should cut just fine on the GO cutter as long as they have been stabilized well. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 AM

Necktie fabric is not like quilt fabric, it doesn't behave at all ... cut a 4" square and by the time you set it aside it is practically round.

Not all of the ties I cut up were silk, there were poly ties also but they are just as unruly as silk.
It will ruin your cutting mat so cut on the back side or use an old one. The silk fibers are so fine they seem to sink into the mat.
I chose not to interface, instead I made use of the wonky fabric by making flat biscuits.
I can't remember the size any more but for instance if my cut was 4" I basted it onto a 3 or 3.5" muslin backing.
I made this many years ago, but it still remains one of my favorite works. I think it is about 30"X45".
(It is hanging at home and I'm not there)

If you can get your machines resharpened you can certainly try it...

I folded and pinned the excess fabric to give a fold on each side of the base block.
It seems like about 18 ties equaled a yard of fabric.

Stitched them with a 1/8" seam, pressed flat, which makes a lovely little center treatment, and then sewed tie and foundation at 1/4" as usual.
I've included a side view of the same technique in a water color quilt so you can see the texture
Attached Thumbnails sharyns-flat-biscuit-necktie-quilt.jpg   sharyns-flat-biscuit-water-color-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 01-14-2014 at 05:45 AM.