Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting out fabric for a project >

cutting out fabric for a project

cutting out fabric for a project

Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 AM

It's happened twice to me that I pre-cut the pieces for a class, and then something else got in the way and I didn't make that quilt like they said. On one, I had a Quilt of Valor I needed to finish up and then my friend wanted me to help her with a S&W which I had taught earlier. She hadn't gotten to the class. That cut fabric is still in a plastic bag. I don't even remember what to do with it.
The last class I went to: when I saw how it was being trimmed, I decided to make my blocks bigger. Too much fudge factor. So now my sashing strips are all too short. I took those strips and made a different quilt top (Hanging Gardens). That top is almost finished, but the original top needs five more blocks yet.

I usually cut a lot of pieces for the step I'm working on and try to finish that step, then cut the next step.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:11 AM

Because I hate cutting and my cutting station is my ironing station, I cut all pieces at once, minus the borders. It kills my knees standing that long, but I want it done and organized so I can start sewing. Sandwiching is another dreaded process though I have it easier than some: I have a ping pong table. It too kills my back and knees as I have to make several trips to the basement. I was hoping to do two yesterday, but only tolerated one. Maybe today.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I have samples for different projects and there may be 3-4 different blocks for the different projects. That is another reason I purchase extra fabric as much as a yard for each project.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:15 AM

Like Mama's Place, I start by cutting one block so if I don't like it I haven't wasted all my fabric and I too do scrappy quilts so I tend to make a few blocks at a time. I don't worry about the next step until just before I get there and it almost always comes out looking nice in the end. The cutting in between sets gives me a break and increases my love for quilting as I never get bored! :-)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 AM

Wow. Who knew this was a hot topic?! I'm so glad for the suggestions and feedback I am getting. You are an awesome group of people. Thanks so much!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:27 AM

Me? I usually cut the entire quilt before I sit down to sew; unless its a scrappy quilt that I don't have a pattern for - then I cut as I go as I don't know how many pieces of what I need until I get there.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM

I am finding out that I don't like cutting out much either. I prefer the sewing process for sure. Just bought a Martelli rotary cutter and am waiting for it in the mail - heard on the board they are helpful and worth the investment. I try not to cut too much at a time - it gets too tedious plus you can be standing up too long and that's not easy after a while.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Amen so true Genden
Old 12-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I dislike cutting too. I use my Go for 95% of all my cutting. If I can't cut the size I need with the Go I cut fabric for a few blocks at a time. I'm a make one block at a time quilter. I don't like to chain sew.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 AM

I love cutting - I love playing with my rulers and templates. I may not cut everything for one quilt at a time, but I never dread the cutting, or even trimming. Though trimming several hundred 3" blocks at one time can be tedious LOL!!

I have a dedicated cutting table with adjustable height so it's just right for me. It's also 4'x6' with a 3'x4' cutting mat. I have a very large selection of rulers to work with. I think that all that helps make cutting fun instead of being a chore.