Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting a straight strip? >

Cutting a straight strip?

Cutting a straight strip?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:02 PM

I did a search on this topic but didn't see an explanation that I "get."

Whenever I fold my fabric and cut strips I end up with them looking kind of like v's in the middle, instead of a straight strip. What I do is on one side I fold selvage to selvage, and line up what I would call the raw edge. And then cut off a strip to get an even edge and cut from there.

Can anybody help me?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM

your raw edge may not be straight
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM

My tips for getting rid of the dreaded V cut.
1. prewash the fabric to get rid of the manufacture "center" crease. I suggestthis because badly folded fabric will "remember" and go back to that crease , and you will need to fight against it for all of your cuts.
2 The refold selvage to selvage . make a "new" not hard center crease. ( note at this point it is very likely that the raw edges will not at all match up, that is the purpose of this step to re- establish a new correct line). The fabric should lay flat selvage to selvage. It is usually easier to do this allowing the selvages along the entire fabric to hang perpedicular to the floor.
3. Line both selvages along a horizontal line on the cutting mat.
4. At this point you will most likely see the raw edge is at a diagonal showing how it was not straight to start.
5. Using your ruler make a perpedicular ( 90degrees from the selvage) cut to square of the raw edge.
6. Use the new edge as your starting place for your strips, keeping equal pressure on both the ruler and the cutter all the way through cutting of the strip.
Note : sometimes when cutting the person cutting lets up a bit on both the ruler pressure and/or the cutter at the end of a long strip. this will give a smaller V depending on how much the ruler and or cutter was allowed to "drift" at the end of the cut.

When I got my first rotary cutter I was making V's and W 's. I think we all have done it more than we like.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM

So I should be lining up the selvage edges instead of the raw edges along one side. Right?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ammorgan
So I should be lining up the selvage edges instead of the raw edges along one side. Right?
Yes line up selvages first, then line up selvages along a line ( horizontal) on the mat. The raw edges are most likey not going to match at this point. You will need to make a trim cut.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Make sure your selvages are both on the same straight on a line on the mat before any cutting. The raw edge will likely not be straigth ...make a trim cut , cutting on the vertical ( 90 degrees from the salvege). To check to see if you are ready to cut project strips , both the selvage and the raw edge should line up perfectly on lines on the cutting mat , or a perfect 90 degrees( selvage to raw edge) .

This site has two great videos, the second one is for cutting.
http://www.quiltfabric.com/
Old 08-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Hold your fabric up-salvage to salvage, now move the front salvage piece left to right- right to left, until the fabric looks straight from side to side. If you see little waves in it, it is not straight. It takes a little practice, but it helps. I find that more than a yard or so is a bit much to hold. I also found that if I press out the middle fold, the fabric will fall straighter. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:23 PM

You have gotten some great suggestions (I sure do love this board!) - one more - are you starching your material before you iron? I have found this helps SOOOO much! Can't believe I haven't always used starch! :)
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM

When I cut strips, 99% of the time, I cut with the grain line (lengthwise), then I don't get the V's.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks for asking the question. I've been having trouble with mine as well.