Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Table Ideas >

Cutting Table Ideas

Cutting Table Ideas

Old 07-29-2011, 04:48 PM

There is no one perfect height. Because it depends on your height. Kitchen counters are too high for me, guess that tells ya I am not tall...LOL. Experiment with different height surfaces in your home and then measure the best one for YOU! Good luck.

Kat
Old 07-29-2011, 04:49 PM

I have 6 of the pattern cabinets, 3 back to back, then a 2 piece counter top on top of them, this is my cutting table, the drawers are full of fabric, sorted by background color. It's 5' wide and 7' long. I know that most people can't get these cabinets, but I would say go with something that has storage and maybe put a couple of doors or a large piece of nice plywood or something over them, then you have a large cutting table and storage.

I have read that the best height for cutting, should be no lower or higher than 3" above your elbow.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by wishfulthinking
I like the idea of using bookcases for the base. Frees up more space for fabric on your other shelves! I've bought two pretty little bookcases from Target. They are 36" tall which seems a good height. If I push them together, my smaller cutting mat fits right on top and it is usable as a cutting table now. But I have a large mat, 24" x 36" so I am looking for a top now. I'd like formica but that is probably more than I want to spend, plus I don't want to add much more height to the table.
My bookcases aren't pushed together - they're almost 6 feet apart. I store things under there as well as in the bookcases.
That's another thought I like!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Guys,

Gotta still shout about the Horn HiLo Table. Doesn't matter how tall or short you are.... the table can be adjusted to your perfect height!
I would love a table like this but it seems they are only available in the UK. Checked on line and can;t find any in this country

Hugs
Old 07-29-2011, 05:27 PM

I have an old drafting table that I picked up 2nd hand. The top lays flat when you don't use it for it's original use. It is the perfect height for me however I wish it had a bigger top. I would like a table like Caroline has. It looks great.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:42 PM

We were remodeling and I had a small table with drawer and a shelf under it. The table measures 2' wide and 5' long. I had an old door that was 3' wide. I centered the table under it and my husband glued and tacked some screen molding on the underside of the door next to the sides and ends of the table to keep it from scooting off. I got 2 cutting mats at JoAnns with a discount coupon to cover the top of the new table top and used some double sided tape to keep them in place. The shelf under the table is used for bolts of fabric and rolls of batting. On the floor under the shelf I keep plastic bins that contain scraps, patterns, and misc. Ann in TN
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I use my dining table a lot, need to bend over a bit, but leaning onto the ruller a bit keeps it steady. I have base cabinet with an 8 ft. counter and sometimes I use that, sometimes the kitchen island. I quess I use whichever, depending on the day. Dining table also has a glass top, I make quilt sandwich on that.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:51 PM

Mine is basically an unfinished oak cabinet that my hubby put an island top on and pegboard on the back for my rulers. Lots of storage...here's the link to pics I posted not too long ago....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138293-1.htm
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM

I found my cutting (and everything else, too!) table at a second-hand furniture shop. After looking for ages for something affordable but with some character, I finally went back to the "furniture barn" and came home with a antique, solid walnut table that's about 3' x 4' without the leafs, and 3' x 8' with them! I use that table for every task in my sewing room and just love it. The height is probably 30", which I could boost with risers but since I sew on it, too, I'm good to keep it lower.

Oh, and it was $100. :)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:56 PM
QKO

We use a Lifetime Commercial grade plastic table from Costco. It's very sturdy, and the legs adjust to several different heights. It's also quite reasonably priced.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4000487&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=tables&Ntt=tables&No=25&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1