Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cutting up jeans for rag quilts

Power Poster

Cutting up jeans for rag quilts

It's easy for me to cut up jeans if they are worn out - there are holes in the knees, a pocket is torn, tears, paint stains -

It's 'painful' for me to cut up jeans that seem to be 'nearly new' -

Any one else reluctant to cut up 'good stuff'?

I rationalize cutting up "good" jeans with this thought: I bought these jeans at a non-profit thrift store for $.25 per pair .... meaning they had been on their racks for at least 3 months or more and nobody bought them. If I didn't snag them up, they would end up in bags going to workshops (or sent overseas) to be cut up into rags. Better useful rag quilts than rags! I even use pockets on denim pillows or wall hangings, zippers get made into flowers or other decorative trim and even those seams sometimes find their way onto wall hangings or some other useful accessory.

My justification ..... hope it helps!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Junior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Some end up shredded to make insulation...
    So might as well make a quilt out of them. )

Blog Entries
    I have trouble with that too. I was cleaning out my closet and there were 2 pairs of jeans that were in great shape but I didn't want them. I took them to Goodwill, along with other good clothes. I like jean rag quilts, but the denim tends to make them to heavy for me to use.
    Sherri

I just cut up my old jeans that has been sitting in the attic, waiting for attention. Cut into 6. 1/2 " blocks and hopefully I will make some lap quilts with them. My friend gave me 10 yards of double knit material this week, so that is going to be the backing. Shouldn't cost me anything, but time and that is where I am the shortest. Beats them sitting in a box.

If it is a nice piece of clothing someone would be happy to wear I give it or donate it. If it is a pair of jeans, well worn, maybe a hole in it, I will cut them up with no problem.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

You could make purses out of the tops/waists and then cut up the legs, getting more out of each pair.

Like this:

New Jeans bag just done