Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
D4P dimensions >

D4P dimensions

D4P dimensions

Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Default D4P dimensions

I am going to make my first D4P quilt. All of the tutorials I see use 5" charm packs. After sewing the 4 patches together they you cut 1" from the middle. I have seen a tutorial using 7-1/2" square to cut 5-1/2 from the edges. What if I want to use a 6.5" square to start with? I can't find the correct cut spot for that size square. I can surrender to the 7-1/2" square, but my fabric pattern just seems to work better with a 6-1/2" starting square. Do you guys know what the cut dimension would be on a D4P if I start with a 6-1/2" square?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

This chart may help you:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DNP size chart.pdf (156.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Thank you for the chart. I am sure I will use it as the D9P is on my to do list. Help me understand how this chart translates to the D4P pattern? I am not smart enough to figure it out on my own
Old 10-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I am going to make my first D4P quilt. All of the tutorials I see use 5" charm packs. After sewing the 4 patches together they you cut 1" from the middle. I have seen a tutorial using 7-1/2" square to cut 5-1/2 from the edges. What if I want to use a 6.5" square to start with? I can't find the correct cut spot for that size square. I can surrender to the 7-1/2" square, but my fabric pattern just seems to work better with a 6-1/2" starting square. Do you guys know what the cut dimension would be on a D4P if I start with a 6-1/2" square?
It's really up to you, as to where you want to do the cut.
Do you want the narrow strip to be really narrow? or medium? or somewhere in between.
Keep in mind to factor in the seam allowance.
If you want to try it out, before you use the "real" fabrics .... either do a sample block with other fabric or sometimes it is helpful to work with a construction paper quilt block, and cut it, to help you see how it might look.

And there's nothing saying you have to start with squares.
Here's one that I made using rectangles.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t242712.html
Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 AM

QuiltE I love your quilt great job. I am taking your suggestion and pulled some scrap fabric to see what I like
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

The D4P can be recut where you like. The only thing is to be careful the your small strips are not too narrow for seam allowances and a nice amount of the contrasting colour to show the pattern. I like to use my 3 inch rotary cutting ruler and I line up the 1 and 1/2 inch mark along the center seam and cut on both sides of my ruler. I turn my matt and cut the same way in the other direction. Once my block is re-sewn the strips are 1 and 1/4 inch. Do what works best for your fabrics.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
QuiltE I love your quilt great job. I am taking your suggestion and pulled some scrap fabric to see what I like
Thanks MeyerT ... it was a fun one to do and gave me that breath of spring as I was saying good bye to winter! It's at the Fair right now ... not sure how it did yet.

You will find that with different fabrics you might want different widths for the cuts. Mine are not overly wide, but I wanted them wide enough to still allow the florals to show nicely. A plainer fabric, you might want a more tailored and trim look and go narrower.

Some of these florals were directional, which added an extra challenge to my part of the work! If you are working with a directional, no problem ... just stay awake, or next thing you have upside down flowers .... or perhaps it might be people!

Have Fun MeyerT with your prototype blocks!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

Oh, I'm sorry I posted the wrong chart. I had one for the D4P, now I can't find it. It's on my computer somewhere. I guess I named it something else because it's not coming up in a file search.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 AM

Onebyone - no need to apologize I saved that one. I have a baby shower in a few weeks and I am going to make a D4P and a D9P to see which one I like the best for the gift. So I am happy to have that chart you sent. Thank you
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]495350[/ATTACH]I am in the process of making a D4P with 6 1/2 inch squares and I cut them 1 1/2 inches from centre. I like how they look. Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg