Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
D9P question >

D9P question

D9P question

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Default D9P question

I hope I word this correctly! I want to make a back for a quilt in D9P using 3 fabrics. I am considering making the starting blocks pretty large and just using 9 blocks. Would this look right? I am a beginner when it comes to larger quilts. The fabrics are Ford, Ford Mustangs and another Ford Mustang design. The front is a Ford Mustang panel and various colors of rectangles that are in the panel. My hubby loved the panel. By the time I managed to get the front sewed together it is close, if not, queen size. So that is the size I will need the back to be. He doesn't want a boring quilt back. LOL!
Thanks, love this site for advice.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:02 AM

Just remember that on a D9P the corner blocks remain whole (uncut) while the center block will be 1/4 of its original size and the other blocks will be cut in half. If it was my quilt, I would put the fabrics I want to show off in the corners and a plain color in the center; then cut the blocks for your D9P blocks. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:38 PM

I had thought about a large D9P for mine, but never did. I tend to do mine in various width strips or extra blocks, depending on what I have for leftovers. Here are some ideas for quilt backs..I started this post a few years ago. One of these days I should update it. I'm sure I've got several more pics I could add.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t148395.html

Also, there is a a free Craftsy class called Creative Quilt Backs that might be a good resource for you. I usually sketch mine out or play around in PowerPoint to get an idea of what I can do with my fabrics.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Here's a suggestion. I'm currently making my brother in law a D9P like pattern. But, I wanted all the large "fish" blocks to be the same upright direction, a typical D9P rotates the large block. I cut 8 1/2 squares out of the pattern, 8 1/2 x 2 1/2 sashing and 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 corner stones. It's working up very quick. The upper left block corner stone is lower right, the upper right block corner stone is upper right, the lower left cornerstone is lower left and the lower right cornerstone is upper left.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM

I haven't decided for sure What I want to do. Decisions, decisions!