Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dallas Cowboy Star` >

Dallas Cowboy Star`

Dallas Cowboy Star`

Old 01-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Dallas Cowboy Star`

I was asked by a friend if I could do a Queen size Star that was the Dallas Cowboy Logo. I have make lots of Radiant Star tops using Eleanor Burns pattern.. I am not sure how I would make a large 5 pointed star.. I would like suggestions on how to attempt this.. Would you just applique a large star then outline it in the white? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Paper piecing is the best way to do a 5 pointed star. You can, of course draft your own but I think I would try enlarging an existing pattern.

http://www.silverliningsoriginals.com/qc/five.html

Here is a link to free one, but it is quite small and not even sure a copy place could enlarge it to what you need, but this may give you an idea of how to draft your own. You can find instructions on how to draft a 5 pointed star on the internet. Perhaps with that information combined with the linked pattern you will be able to create your own pattern for this quilt.

the Dallas cowboy star adds another element of complexity due to the double border surrounding the star. I hope the friend is willing to pay you for your efforts.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM

I have a free program that I downloaded years ago called "poster razor" you scan your image and tell it how big you want it, print it out and tape the pages together
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 AM

Hope this proves helpful. Only makes a small star but maybe you can get some ideas.

http://jmday.com/?p=1022
http://jmday.com/?p=978
Old 01-14-2017, 03:55 AM

If you will google "Dallas Star Logo" you will get a lot to choose from.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 AM

That "posterazor" program is still available (I just checked).

I believe I would applique it. I would cut the blue star the size I wanted. I believe I would REALLY starch the blue fabric as you're working with lots of bias (or close) edges for a while. I think I would use sashing for the inside white stripe and the outside blue stripe. I'd sew the inside corners of the stripes by hand. Then I would use fusible (and turn it to produce the edge) to attach it to the main fabric and sew it down. If I had the ability, I'd quilt it FMQ in the star in concentric star shapes.

That is a hypothetical suggestion, as I've never done anything like it.

bkay
Old 01-14-2017, 06:48 AM

Oh wow thanks for sharing bkay, I might have to to try this program...although I am quite leary about downloading anything on my computer....
Old 01-15-2017, 05:01 AM

Thanks for all the star suggestions. I think I will download that program. I was thinking the only way to accomplish this would be to applique. bkay thanks for the directions, that gives me something to work with.. I was just at a loss. I will let you know how it goes. I told this person I had to have a deposit before I would actually purchase fabric, and so far have not heard back from them, so I may not have to worry about it anyway. But I am downloading that program for future use.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 AM

Google Dallas Star quilt pattern and click on images. I really like this one. http://www.quiltingqueenonline.com/2...eye-candy.html. Hope the link works.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 PM

thanks memom.