Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Danger don't do what i did >

Danger don't do what i did

Danger don't do what i did

Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes, let it go, and also jump back to avoid getting stuck with scissors, needle, etc.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM

I am new to QB. I hope you are feeling better since your injury. It could happen to anyone in a split second. Reading this has hopefully taught me to be more careful. We all need to take the few extra seconds or minutes to make sure we do what it takes to secure our work area(to the best of our abiity)and to even prevent even the smallest of accidents from happening. Yes, i agree natural reflex is hard to defy but hopefully we all can think in that split second to not react. Safe quilting all.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 PM

-
Originally Posted by shandyr1 View Post
Last night I was using my seam ripper to remove some stitches. I laid it down on my sewing table and knocked it off onto my lap. Natural response without thinking I put my knees together to catch it and it caught between my legs. I stabbed the inside of my leg badly. Managed to stop the bleeding finally with my husband's help. I was lucky I didn't get the main artery in my leg. Sure hurt. I won't do that again.
My sister did this with an axacto knif. Bled like a stick pig. Luck for her my brother in law got it stopped. Could have got that femoral artery. He banded her from wood craving anymore. Now she does it with a tray in her lap. Glad you are OK.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 PM

I am glad you are healing well! So many accidents can happen in our quilting rooms - they are filled with sharp objects!!! Of course, stopping that reflex to catch something that is falling...that's a tough one to unlearn! I was helping DH unload groceries from the back seat of his truck when a package to toilet paper tumbled out...I threw out my leg with the speed of a black belt, saving the toilet paper (wrapped in plastic) from getting dirty and giving myself a heck of a lump and bruise on my shin from solidly connecting with the bottom of the truck door. Horrible reflex that I would love to reverse!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Geezo you guys Oh Wow Makes us remember to be carefull
Old 09-25-2012, 06:33 PM

Had a friend who did the stab avocado pit with a knife and she missed and ended up with stitches in her hand. Please everyone be careful with those sharp objects.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 PM

I've worked with sharp knives on the job, so have learned to respect things that are sharp, but accidents will still happen. I remember in grade school a girl in front of me dropped a pair of scissors on top of her foot and hit a vein. Her shoe was filling up with blood before anyone could even react! I think she had to have stitches.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 PM

It is hard to not respond with a reflex action when you drop something. I was sitting at my machine one day stitching something by hand and dropped the needle. I caught it between my legs and it went all the way in. That's the only time I have ever been glad I had chubby legs, It didn't hit anything vital and it still had the thread on it so I could pull it out. It sure gave me the "willies" though.