Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM

I've shared this before but I'll share my experience with you. I bought my Husqvarna top of the line machine (at the time) at a quilt show on the mainland and saved almost $2000 off the local price. The local dealer wasn't overjoyed but I'd asked her for her best price before we left for the mainland. No way could she beat the price and the brand new model wasn't available on this island for almost another year (!) anyway.

The point of my story is that Husqvarna has a strict policy that dealers will honor the warranty and service agreements no matter where the machine is bought. Before buying your machine, I'd check with the website of any manufacturer you decide to buy from and make sure that is their policy as well.

That four hour away dealer doesn't sound very reliable to me. Is there another brand of machine you might like just as much with a dealer closer to you?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I wish I could find the post from one of our members who asked this question from one of the manufacturers and that person said they were the same machines inside - it would be prohibitive to have to manufacture separate inferior ones. I hope I remembered it correctly. Maybe someone else does?
I remember that, as well. The less expensive stores may sell less expensive models BUT a particular model is the same, regardless of who sells it.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 PM

Don't be afraid to order the Juki online...it's an awesome machine! I think it's easy to use and I have NEVER had to mess with the tension since the day I bought it over a year ago. I absolutely love mine!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

That dealer is full of it. If the dealer has the same model of machine that is in a box store, it is the same machine built the same way.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
I don't know about a sewing machine, but I've been told that is true when buying some things from Home Depot vs. small businesses. Eg, bath fixtures and appliances. So I don't know about the sewing machine. Anyways, I would only buy from a reputable store which is not far away so you can take advantage of classes and will be close for servicing and remedying any problems.
I have been told that too by plumbers wanting me to buy faucets, etc from them. I bought into it until today when I say the plumbing truck parked at Menards.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annie68 View Post
What else would you expect a dealer say, she wants to sell you a machine.
I agree. The best way is to go to a quilt show where many dealers will be bring the new DSM out of the box and then they are discounted because they are not new anymore. They normally make good deals near the end of the show so they don't have to bring them back to their store. Same way with cars. Since they are all new freshly open boxes, that is where I bought mine. If you buy it from Amazon, don't expect to have much courtesy from your local dealer like any assistance with learning how to use your new DSM. Same model number, same DSM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:38 PM

I think that's just sour grapes. My local Juki dealer was more than happy to match the online price of $1,000 and yes, he had $1600 on his machine too. They come out of the same box. He said he was more than happy too since they were such great machines and so little trouble. He set it up in the store, demonstrated it and gave me extra bobbins. Find another Juki dealer. I would not have the slightest problem purchasing the Juki online. It was simple and easy to set up. No problems.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Wow I'm not the person who started this thread but I must thank everyone for the wonderful information!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM

There is a Junkie 2010 on Massdrop right now. It is not up for sale yet. IF you aren't in a hurry you might want to check out https://www.massdrop.com/home. Sometimes they have really good prices.

Massdrop is a new concept (I think) they let you vote on items you would like to see up for sale....I don't know how they determine what does get picked, but they have some things selling now and the more people that buy it the lower the price goes. The trick it that they don't order until the selling time is over and they order in bulk to get a better price. Then they mail it out - so it could take a while before you get the item. For sewing items look in crafting category.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Perhaps Box stores don't sell the same model as the dealers?