Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response >

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 AM

Default dealer machines vs boxed - seepost 55 for mfg response

hi! while researching the juki 2010q that i am looking at, i talked to the nearest dealer who is about 4 hours away from where i live. the list price is 1600 and i asked her the difference between buying from a dealer rather than thru say amazon where i can see it listed for less than 1000. she said the boxed machines like the ones you get at joanns walmart etc or the online purchases are not the same quality as a dealer machine. she said that the boxed have the metal screwed right to the plastic and the dealer has a completely metal framework and then the plastic is just the casing on the outside. the other plus is the obvious warranty, maintenance, etc from the dealer. any takers on this? what do you all think? ive only been sewing less than 4 years and opinions are much appreciated! thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

There may be a difference between models, but would a manufacturer have different specifications for the SAME model number - regardless of where it is being sold/purchased?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM

I have no facts to back up my feeling, but I think I'd call BS on that one. No manufacturer is going to make two different quality machines and label them the same. The nightmare of keeping things straight in the factory would be enough to deter it.

I don't know how it works with sewing machines, but if you buy a Ford car all Ford dealerships must honor the warranty. If your dealer is 4 hours away, they are not going to be much help to your anyway should you need it.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM

I'm guessing the extra money would be for warranty, education, and service.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM

What else would you expect a dealer say, she wants to sell you a machine.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Sounds ridiculous to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Juki online, especially since your dealer is so far away! The gas money alone is worth buying online, even if they were the same price. The major obstacle is going to be learning how to use it. Dealer classes are great for that, but they come with manuals for a reason! If you have problems, you can get help online, lots of great resources.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM

I don't know about a sewing machine, but I've been told that is true when buying some things from Home Depot vs. small businesses. Eg, bath fixtures and appliances. So I don't know about the sewing machine. Anyways, I would only buy from a reputable store which is not far away so you can take advantage of classes and will be close for servicing and remedying any problems.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Sometimes, it is true that manufacturers will have similar models of a single product for different retailers. But they would have different model numbers, even just one letter difference, to denote a dealer model vs big box/online retailer model. Unfortunately, now you know that your closest dealer is either ill-informed, or a mis-guided salesperson willing to say anything to make a sale. I wouldn't buy from just any online retailer but Amazon? Absolutely. They are hands down my absolute favourite online retailer.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
the list price is 1600 and i asked her the difference between buying from a dealer rather than thru say amazon where i can see it listed for less than 1000.
When the price difference gets to be that large you can almost buy 2 online for the same price as one at a local dealer. I know you don't get the same service and training but the Juki 2010q doesn't look like a really complicated machine and I think you could probably get by on your own without formal training.

Myself - I would buy online and find a local repairman for servicing. Saving $600 plus dollars could fund several quilts!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

I wish I could find the post from one of our members who asked this question from one of the manufacturers and that person said they were the same machines inside - it would be prohibitive to have to manufacture separate inferior ones. I hope I remembered it correctly. Maybe someone else does?