Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dear Jane Quilt Questions >

Dear Jane Quilt Questions

Dear Jane Quilt Questions

Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Actually 4 1/2", Sue!
Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
If I'm not mistaken, DJ blocks are 4" finished.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM

I took at "Dear Jane" class making 4.5 inch unfinished blocks - some lessons I learned was that you can do what ever you want - hand sew, machine sew, reverse applique, applique etc - the thing with such a small block is that the pieces are so small it is hard to handle them - that was very frustrating to me. Jane's blocks are very modern and outstanding that is why she has such a fan club worldwide. Did I finish my "dear Jane' blocks - no I have about 50 done and that will be it for me --wall hanging?
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM

In the Brenda Papadakis book the patterns (finished) are 4 1/2" finished - 5" before assembly. They are small enough at that!

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
To clarify ...
unfinished size is 4-1/2" (size once assembled and before sewing into the quilt)
finished size is 4" (size once sewin in place in the quilt)

If you're going to create your own sampler design ... then make them whatever size you wish!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM

Try looking at some blogs such as ThatQuilt. She has very good tutes for all of the blocks!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
If I'm not mistaken, DJ blocks are 4" finished.
The blocks as drawn in the Dear Jane book finish at 4.5 inches. Note: The author states that the blocks are drawn 'in the manner of . . . ' The DJ author took some liberties - or didn't look closely - at some of the blocks when she put those blocks in the book.

From what I understand, the Dear Jane software can draw/make templates for several sizes - I don't own the software (wasn't Mac compatible) - so I don't know that much about it. It appears that some changes were made in some of the blocks when the software was created.

The blocks in the original quilt made by Jane A. Stickles varied in size.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I bought the software and you can resize bigger.
The software is not user friendly and have only made a few blocks then moved on to other things.
I also changed the method of making some of the blocks as they are not the easy way to make them.
Will get back to it someday.
I don't think I will try to imitate her quilt so much. I'm thinking of choosing my blocks randomly and making a quilt with them so I wouldn't even consider using the software for making them because then it would just look like someone else s design.

Mostly I like the concept of doing the blocks and also using up all the little scraps at the same time.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I've wondered if Miss Jane might have acquired some of those blocks in swaps or made them over a long period of time.

The workmanship does seem to be inconsistent.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've wondered if Miss Jane might have acquired some of those blocks in swaps or made them over a long period of time.

The workmanship does seem to be inconsistent.

Or perhaps like many of us??? .........
... her skills and abilities developed overtime and this became somewhat of a story of her progress
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

If you're looking for small block patterns ....
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...s-t201762.html

There was a correction noted in the thread that the block sizes are 4-1/2" finished
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM

I have the software from EQ for the DJ blocks as I did not want to make them as small as originals....I have readjusted to 6"---and have also sort of redesigned some of them - at least the ones I have completed. It is definitely not an easy project no matter how you do it....hand or machine and I will probably never finish this one....it will end up being packed away as a UFO.........but it is/was a challenge for me.