Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dear jane quilts

dear jane quilts

Has anyone quilted a dear jane using the quilt as you go mehod? I would like to try it, but not sure how it would work out. How do most quilters quilt it?

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have never done a quilt as you go, but I would think a Dear Jane is too large to do that way. I'm anxious to hear what others think about it. Peggy
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Lacylady did...do a search for her posts...
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    someone posted in this Thread 2012-2013 Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Party Pictures and Discussion about quilting it in sections, not by block
    Nancy in western NY

you can quilt any quilt with an (as you go) method if you so choose-
    you can quilt each block individually then join them with sashing strips-
    you can construct your quilt into rows- horizontal or vertical -then quilt each section before joining them together-
    you can construct the quilt into 1/4's or what ever manageable size panal/piece- quilt it then join them- any and all of the techniques are done all the time. just decide which method seems to be the one that will work for you and go for it-
    there are plenty of tutorials on quilt as you go-
    elenor burns has a pattern out called the 6 hour quilt- it is a good quilt as you go method
    then there is always the cotton theory technique
    the raggy quilt technique (which you can always do to join the quilted squares- then fold the seams in upon themselves and stitch them down instead of clipping/ragging)
    there are u-tube videos, tutorials, and patterns- or
    since it is your project you can simply decide how you want to do it and go for it.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    you can quilt any quilt with an (as you go) method if you so choose-
    you can quilt each block individually then join them with sashing strips-
    you can construct your quilt into rows- horizontal or vertical -then quilt each section before joining them together-
    you can construct the quilt into 1/4's or what ever manageable size panal/piece- quilt it then join them- any and all of the techniques are done all the time. just decide which method seems to be the one that will work for you and go for it-
    there are plenty of tutorials on quilt as you go-
    elenor burns has a pattern out called the 6 hour quilt- it is a good quilt as you go method
    then there is always the cotton theory technique
    the raggy quilt technique (which you can always do to join the quilted squares- then fold the seams in upon themselves and stitch them down instead of clipping/ragging)
    there are u-tube videos, tutorials, and patterns- or
    since it is your project you can simply decide how you want to do it and go for it.
    Just so you can find it if you want it... the 6 Hour Quilt is Kaye Wood's design and book, the block by block can use sashing or no sashing, check out Georgia Bonesteel....she has been doing Laptop quilting for more than 30 years, in books and on TV... and all of ckcowls other examples... some new once there i will have to investigate...

Dear Jane is only 4 in blocks so quilt as you go would be a lot of work putting blocks togather after quilting.