Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decent Lightweight Machine for Traveling?

Decent Lightweight Machine for Traveling?

I need to do some traveling soon and am already suffering from sewing machine separation anxiety. My home machines are too heavy to lug around so I thought I might look into getting something lightweight that I can carry with me. Since I will just be piecing and maybe working on some small quilting projects, I don't want to invest a lot of money in a machine. I'm budgeting no more than $150 for a machine. Any suggestions on what to get?

I can't bear the thought of sitting in a hotel room night after night knowing I could be sewing if I had a machine with me.
    ...cuz I said sew! www.sallysaw.blogspot.com

You just need to go to Joann's and try them out. I like my Featherweight for traveling. I also have a small Europro that has gone with me before I owned the FW's. The Europro has a little quilting table that goes with it, which is nice. My husband gave it to me - it was ordered from HSN for under $100.00. Just try some out and see what you like. The big thing is get a travel case to take it with you. The kind that have wheels, makes life a lot easier and you can leave certain doubles in there so you don't need to pack your tools each time you get ready to go.

A friend just lent me her Brother XR6060, which is computerized and has 60 different stitches. It's lighter then my basic straight stitch brother. Like surprisingly light. I looked at it in the bag and mentally prepared myself to lug a huge weight and then was pleasantly surprised! The stitches are easy to change (push of a button) and it sees beautifully. I think im buying it from her now. oh! And it's only about a 120-140 depending on where you get it!
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle
    Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight
    my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758
    Flower, Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66
    Singer 99K
    Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

Blog Entries
    I purchased a simple little Janome (Harmony) for my granddaughter. I got it on sale for $89 and it sews nicely.

Blog Entries
    i got a walmart Brother cs6000i. it is lightweight for carrying but sews really well.
    Nancy in western NY

Questions:
    - How are you traveling? If by air you may not want to check it but have it fit a carryon piece of luggage ... with wheels.
    - Will you be traveling often?
    - How long will you be there?
    - Are you only going to be in 1 city?
    - Do you like hand work? or cutting? or designing?

Yes, I have taken my machine when I travel by car. No problem. When I fly I usually borrow one when I get to my destination if I want to continue sewing. Though now I do have a FW, which was a great investment.

I do have EQ6 on my notebook so I do a lot of playing around when I travel.

I have cut out pieces for quilts when I wasn't at home so I wouldn't have to take a machine.

I now do redwork and like to make yo-yo's for someone who uses them.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Banned
    I love my Jem Platinum
    In addition to sewing a good stitch it has a needle-down function and you can set the stitch for a scant 1/4" seam.

Brother sq9050 from walmart
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Questions:
    - How are you traveling? If by air you may not want to check it but have it fit a carryon piece of luggage ... with wheels.
    - Will you be traveling often?
    - How long will you be there?
    - Are you only going to be in 1 city?
    - Do you like hand work? or cutting? or designing?

Yes, I have taken my machine when I travel by car. No problem. When I fly I usually borrow one when I get to my destination if I want to continue sewing. Though now I do have a FW, which was a great investment.

I do have EQ6 on my notebook so I do a lot of playing around when I travel.

I have cut out pieces for quilts when I wasn't at home so I wouldn't have to take a machine.

I now do redwork and like to make yo-yo's for someone who uses them.

ali
    I will be traveling by air, luckily to the same destination each week. My plan is to buy the machine once I get there and see if I can make arrangements with the hotel to leave it when I fly home on weekends. At the end of my assignment, I will ship it home unless I decide to take it as a carry-on. Hence the need for a lighter weight machine. I've got projects I need to get completed by Christmas.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I am looking forward to checking out the LQS where I will be staying.
    ...cuz I said sew! www.sallysaw.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SallySaidSew View Post
    I need to do some traveling soon and am already suffering from sewing machine separation anxiety. My home machines are too heavy to lug around so I thought I might look into getting something lightweight that I can carry with me. Since I will just be piecing and maybe working on some small quilting projects, I don't want to invest a lot of money in a machine. I'm budgeting no more than $150 for a machine. Any suggestions on what to get?

I can't bear the thought of sitting in a hotel room night after night knowing I could be sewing if I had a machine with me.

Go to Wally World and pick up a few. Some of the newer plastic ones aren't too heavy. They probably won't last a long time, but you'll not be using it every day, either.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast