Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC >

Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC

Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC

Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Deciding on Singer Featherweight or Janome 4120 QDC

I have a Janome 11000 which has embroidery capabilities as my main machine for home use.

I want a lightweight machine to take to weekly sit & sew group. I have found a Singer 221 featherweight that is reasonable and have also looked at the Janome 4120 QDC. Big difference I know.

1.Each one is light weight

2.Featherweight is mainly for piecing - Janome has multiple stitches, needle up/down, thread cutter

3.Featherweight is half the price of the Janome

4.Featherweight is a mechanical machine whereas 4120 is electronic which makes it more susceptible to damage from vibrations while being transported.

Which machine would you choose to use strictly for piecing?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Have you sewed on both machines? I would buy the machine that does the best job on a straight stitch seam and that I enjoy the most. Machines last a long time, and a machine I really enjoy using delivers more hour-by-hour pleasure than other machines that might have more features or not do quite as good a job for me. If sewing on a vintage machine gives you a lot of pleasure and the stitching line is good, choose the featherweight. If the Janome is more fun for you, choose that one.

I can't see vibration during transport as being an issue to consider unless perhaps the machine will be strapped to the back of a motorcycle or you will be driving over cobblestones a lot. I think that brings the decision-making into the realm of over-analysis (or analysis paralysis).
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM

I personally would buy the FW. If you don't really care for it, it will still be a nice conversation piece or you can resell it for at least what you paid for it. I have a white one and every time I pull it out of it's case I just get a huge smile. Everyone that see's it just loves it.

They do the job and are hecka fun too, but they can be touchy and you do need to learn how to handle the little dynamo, but once you know exactly how to sew with it I think you would luv it.
And they are fun to carry so light weight and take up so little space.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:04 PM

I have a Featherweight and totally love it. But you do need to realize that it is limited to straight stitching, unless you buy the zigzag attachment, there are various attachments you can get for a FW. I have 2 different travel machines, my FW and also a little Europro. As much as I love my Janome, I would not get one for a travel machine. I would be more likely to go with a Brother machine, they are light weight and from the people I know that have them swear by them.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:06 PM

I have both machines . If I had to buy one it would be the janome as it has more features than the featherweight and mine is definitely more stable. My featherweight moves about as I machine without mat under.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:50 AM

Oooooo featherweight....much covetted over here by vintage machine lovers....seldom come up on ebay and when they do they sell for quite a price. There's a little place in my vintage machine "herd" in my loungeroom that is reserved for the elusive featherweight.......one day....maybe..........
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 AM

I haven't used either machine but would think a mechanical would be less likely to have problems from being moved around a lot.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:32 AM

To me it would depend on what type of sewing you do in your sit & sew group on a regular basis. If it's strictly straight stitch piecing then I would definitely go with the FW.

If you are looking for something to accommodate that plan as well as be a back-up machine with more utility, then you might want to go with the other machine.

As Sunflowerzz says, you can always sell the FW if it doesn't satisfy your needs - or keep it cuz they are really cute and do sew an amazing straight stitch!

I have a FW and love it's portability and reliability. I use it for classes and for personal travel. Have even used it for some mending tasks when I didn't want to rip something completely apart and I wanted to be able to fix it local to the item vs bringing the item to my main machine.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:43 AM

I have both machines that I use to take to my sewing group twice a week. I use mainly the FW but if I need a zigzag for something like applique I take the Janome. I totally love my FW!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:06 AM

I would choose the FW, but then -- the newest machine I own is from 1958, so what do I know?

Actually, I would recommend the Singer 301 over the FW, because it is easier to see the needle (for me, at least).