Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
decisions, decisions....not good at decisions >

decisions, decisions....not good at decisions

decisions, decisions....not good at decisions

Old 11-05-2014, 09:48 AM

I also vote for the dark green. I think I'd cut the focus squares a little bigger, of course you would then need to cut your green a little longer but not wider. I know clear as mud. LOL.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:59 AM

I like the darker green.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I do with the darker green. Would be much easier in person. I usually don't have a problem coming up with something to go with a quilt.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
The darker green popped out at me more. But I wasn't sure if it would overpower your focus fabric. So I snagged your pictures and popped them into a word document so you could get an idea of what the quilt would look like. After viewing like that I definitely stand by my first impulse of the darker green. See if you can view the attached file, this may help you with your decision

Hopefully you have enough of your focus left that you could use it in the border too.
Well, how nifty is that! Thank you so much for going to the trouble to do that. I will be studying it carefully, as I need all the help I can get with this decision. And yes, I do have enough focus fabric for borders.

Now, you'd think this was my first quilt, the way I am stewing about it. But it is my 81st. (I know because my sister started quilting 12 years before I did and insisted I count how many quilts I had made, as she wished she knew how many she had made.) I know that I really won't know if I like a quilt until I have the top finished. And your picture is just right, so that I am closer to knowing what it will look like.

For now I am going to leave it on my design wall all day and decide tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Dina
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Darker green, definitely. The lighter green isn't enough contrast with the white and just washes everything out.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 AM

That is a really nice pattern, and your former quilt turned out great!

I think your choice depends on what effect you want from your focus fabric. To me, the darker green completely changes the look of the focus fabric, bringing out the blues and the background. It no longer looks very warm or very green, to me. The lighter green makes the focus fabric seem much greener, and gives everything a very spring-like feel. I'm partial to spring greens, so I like the look of that combination better. With the other choice, you're going to have a much higher contrast, cooler quilt.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

definitely the darker
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

What if you used the darker green in one corner and the lighter green in the other. The lighter on top.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Here it is with the lighter green, I still prefer the darker.
Attached Thumbnails dinas-qb-green-quilt-light.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 12:14 PM

When I have difficulty making a color decision, I follow advice seen on QB several months ago .... take a black and white photo. The depth of color usually helps me make a sound decision. But I like what feline fanatic did with your sample blocks .... the difference really shows that the darker would be my choice if I were making this quilt. I look forward to your finished project Dina. Good luck!!!