Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
decisions, decisions....not good at decisions >

decisions, decisions....not good at decisions

decisions, decisions....not good at decisions

Old 11-05-2014, 08:30 AM

Default decisions, decisions....not good at decisions

I have this fabric that I just love. I have been experimenting with different ideas to use it. Currently I have a pattern in mind and just need a bit of input about one fabric selection. (I have already abandoned one quilt idea completely, and I had already cut out much of the fabric, but that's a different story...) I am just not real good at decisions.

The first picture is of the fabric I adore. I really want this fabric to be the focus of the quilt.

The second picture is of the block pieces just laying on my design wall, not sewn together. One has a lighter "solid" color and the other is darker. Which do you think looks best?

The third picture is the quilt pattern that these blocks end up in. It is called Square within Square 2 and I got it from quilterscache.com. I gave this quilt to charity and have always loved the way it ended up looking.

Okay, which green fabric....light or darker?

Thanks for any input.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002017.jpg   s8002046.jpg   square-within-square-blue.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 AM

On my screen, the light green makes everything look very washed out/pastel. But the darker green makes your focus fabric pop. So my vote would be for the darker green. But there is no reason why you could not use them both and alternate--first row, dark, light, dark, second row, light, dark, light. All in all, still like the darker one best.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 AM

hi dina I am not much help you are not alone I have decision problem too..... but I like the lighter color your quilt is beautiful.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM

I like the darker of the 2, the 1 on the right. It just seems to make the flowers pop to me. IMHO
Great quilt!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM

I am color challenged myself, but I am wondering why not use both greens and dump the white? I like the dark green in the top picture with the lighter green.....Maybe that will be too much green for you??? I love the blue and white quilt in the 3rd picture great job
Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried removing the white and having both greens, but it was too much green, just blended together. I tried using both greens along with the white....still thinking on that.

See, I like the darker green color and fabric better, but I think the lighter green looks better. I want my focus fabric to be the focus, and the darker green seems to shout louder than my focus fabric. I will do more thinking. I may even pull out the three other dark greens I have eliminate, along with the pink,\ and the violet I had also eliminated, and quit trying to make my focus fabric the focus.

If I play with it all long enough, I will know what I want. Right??

Thanks for thinking with me.

Dina
Old 11-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

on the finished quilt, i like the pale fabric around the focus fabric. thus, i vote for the lighter green.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 AM

Definitely the dark green...it looks amazing!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:23 AM

I prefer the dark green. Provides more contrast.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

The darker green popped out at me more. But I wasn't sure if it would overpower your focus fabric. So I snagged your pictures and popped them into a word document so you could get an idea of what the quilt would look like. After viewing like that I definitely stand by my first impulse of the darker green. See if you can view the attached file, this may help you with your decision

Hopefully you have enough of your focus left that you could use it in the border too.
Attached Thumbnails dinas-qb-green-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-05-2014 at 09:49 AM.