Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Deffination please of "scraps"

Would someone please tell me the guide lines for "scraps"!
    I have one idea but not sure it is the legal one, if there is one.

I think of scraps as small, unusual shapes, something that would not be easy to use.

I have not attempted a 'scrapy' type quilt so not too sure what one looks for in 'scraps.'

Thanks.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Your description is a good one. I also use the word "scraps" for pieces leftover from a project.
    But it's a very loose term I'm sure. All I know is that for me it's anything not yardage or cuts etc.

Usually anything less than 1/4 of a yard, strips left over from jelly rolls, squares left over from charm packs, odds and ends from projects that are really not large enough for another project. Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a "scrap".

Anything less then FQ or Fat eight.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Usually anything less than 1/4 of a yard, strips left over from jelly rolls, squares left over from charm packs, odds and ends from projects that are really not large enough for another project. Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a "scrap".
    Anything larger than 2" square but less than a Fat Quarter is a scrap in my house. I'm not insane enough (yet) for crumbs which are the scraps from scraps.

Blog Entries
    This is a great question, but I have found that answers can vary a *lot*. Some people consider anything less than a fat quarter to be a scrap. Others consider anything less than a fat eighth. Others still consider anything under 5" square. Others anything under 2" square. Then there are those who enjoy making "crumb" quilts; anything 1/2" or larger seems to qualify for crumbs. I would be more than done at this point, but there are still other quilters who enjoy encorporating selvedges into their work. Not sure how narrow those can get, but I'm suspicious that under 1/2" inch wide is acceptable to some.

It's gotten so that I throw very little fabric away. Always saving something to PIF to people who clearly have a *lot* more patience and persistence than I have for piecing!

Defining quilt 'scraps' is like asking a gardner what a weed is. ANSWER: a weed is just a flower you don't like.
    Meaning it's the way individuals perceive the 'weed'/ scrap;. as to what one is.
    :)

A scrap to me is anything that I have previously cut. Meaning, it could be a piece 9" x WOF if I have cut it off a larger piece. It doesn't have to be small. It's left over from a project.

Yup, it's "the stuff" left over after I make something. If I have a yard of fabric, and cut half of that into pieces, but then have triangles and doodads and weird rectangles or squares that are not quite squares....scraps. The "whole half" is not scraps, it is "stash".

A scrappy quilt can be either "made from scraps" or pull a bunch of different colors from FQ or yardage to get that sparkle because there's a bunch of different fabrics.

(in my book)

Blog Entries
    basicly for ME: 2" and larger and smaller than a FQ.

usually leftovers from a project.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast