Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
delving into the unknown... >

delving into the unknown...

delving into the unknown...

Old 01-10-2015, 04:56 AM

I use phone book paper, good recycling use for old phone books.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:33 AM

I love it that, for a lot of you, paper piecing is fun. I am left-handed and dyslexic and pp is something that seems to defy me. I have tried at least 10 times, with a good friend at my side, but alas, I can't do it, so I am not trying any more. There are enough other patterns I can use and hopefully avoid frustration.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:44 AM

If not for tutorials and blogs I would never have accomplished so many new techniques I thought I could never do. Two years in and I can ditch the beginner status. Just made a stack of 10 inch blocks for later used. I agree...it's actually a fun technique I thought I would never try.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 AM

I had to look up Mirboo. Boy, you are in the middle of no where.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM

My avatar is my first foundation pieced project. The one thing I learned that is most important, is to be sure to measure any foundations that you print before you start, to be sure they are the size specified. If not your quilt will not work out right. Ask me how I learned this...lol!
Old 01-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I had to look up Mirboo. Boy, you are in the middle of no where.
Indeed I am! Although, I used to live in the Kimberley in Western Australia - tiny town called Fitzroy Crossing - in the desert. You should look that up and see how remote that place is!
Old 01-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I love it that, for a lot of you, paper piecing is fun. I am left-handed and dyslexic and pp is something that seems to defy me. I have tried at least 10 times, with a good friend at my side, but alas, I can't do it, so I am not trying any more. There are enough other patterns I can use and hopefully avoid frustration.
I'm left handed carolynjo. Makes learning some crafts hard as everything has instructions for a right handed person, but I persevere. The only things I do right handed are knit and play musical instruments - everything else is completely left handed. All that means is that I read the pattern in reverse - particularly for things like crochet and cross stitch.

The paper piecing, I'll admit was a little difficult, more because of the sewing machine. Why someone hasn't invented a sewing machine for a left handed person I don't know. That's why I hand quilt all my quilts, because it just doesn't feel comfortable.

Just remember this - left hand people are some of the most creative in the world! We may do things backwards, but we can still do anything a right handed person can do!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:44 PM

Isn't it fun when something frustrating begins to work?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:52 PM

I did read the responses, and didn't see this one..Great tool - A post card. I use a post card laid along the line to fold back the paper on the stitch line - then trim the fabric underneath before adding my next piece. It helps you get a nice clean crease - which ultimately helps in the tearing process as well.
I LOVE paper piecing - there is no way on Earth i could ever get that kind of points with standard piecing.....and have taught it to my DGD (she's 11)- who loves it too.

RE: left handed....everyone who does paper piecing has to get used to thinking upside-down and backwards. Once you "get" that, it becomes much easier......but that doesn't mean i still don't sew some angles backwards sometimes.

Last edited by PenniF; 01-10-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 PM

I'm right handed but my DH is left handed and it has bee a fun ride for us. When we would move furniture when we first got married, we would go in a circle because we both moved in opposite directions! It was so funny we would just laugh. Over the years we now ask, "Ok, which way are we going?" LOL!
I love pp for me and just have used printer paper. I didn't have any problems but I think thinner paper would work better.
Do you know anyone that is left handed that has defied ping? I don't know if you could find anything on line about left handed paper piecing, especially if your internet is so bad. But it's a thought. I hope you could some how figure it out as it does make beautiful blocks so perfect… I admire your perseverance….