Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
delving into the unknown... >

delving into the unknown...

delving into the unknown...

Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I love it that, for a lot of you, paper piecing is fun. I am left-handed and dyslexic and pp is something that seems to defy me. I have tried at least 10 times, with a good friend at my side, but alas, I can't do it, so I am not trying any more. There are enough other patterns I can use and hopefully avoid frustration.
I am a leftie and not word-dyslexic but have great difficulty with 2-D visuals (3-d is impossible!).
Do not give up! Here are my plodding little ways (which by the way resulted in brilliantly perfect flying geese and pretty good feathered star in my current project)
1.Just write on the paper whatever reminders you need, like 'PINK- right side faces me' or Beige 'right side down'.
2.For triangle pieces, use bigger pieces of fabric so you can fluff the mistakes, or mark on each paper where the see-through pieces have to line up.
3.SLOW DOWN! repeat when necessary This is not a timed test!

When I started quilting three - oops maybe four! - years ago I constantly sewed pieces which were not right sides together. I joined blocks inside out. I would look at two pieces of fabric and sew them wrong side out not just once but twice... It was a continuation of my jr-high and high school sewing messes where every other pant leg or sleeve was on the wrong side. Instead of giving it up, I challenged myself to slow down and think it through. If nothing else I am challenging my aging brain. and I may be a lot slower than other quilters but hey, I like the outcome.

That said, I feel about FMQ on my DSM the same was you feel about paper piecing! Let's both give ourselves time and space ...
Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Love all the helpful hints. How do you take a pattern and use paper piecing to get the nice points? I only used patterns designed for pp. thanks