Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize? >

Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize?

Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Denim Cathedral type quilt - Kingsize?

Hi - I'm new to this forum, and actually new to quilting. I've sewn for a long time, but have never tackled a quilt before. I've been looking for a kingsize bedspread (not comforter) for a long time, but bedspreads are hard to find anymore.
I found this pattern - http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...gallbaros.html
on how to do a denim quilt - all machine sewn, no batting. This sounds pretty easy for my first attempt.

For those of you who do quilting a lot, does a Kingsize BEDSPREAD (meaning all the way to the floor) sound too heavy, or to adventurous for a first-time quilter? I'm guessing I can sew strips of these (like two circles wide, and the length of the quilt) in the pattern, then sew the strips together to the width I desire so I can get it in my machine. Does that make sense?

Any suggestions, or hints would be appreciated. I know it will be a long process, but I love the look of this. I just have to find enough old jeans! I have plenty of scraps to be the inside material. Or, I've also thought of making the inside all one material. Not sure yet. I like the colorful, old fashioned, quilt look too.

I'm mostly worried about the weight - and getting it sewn in my machine. I have a good machine, it's just wrangling this much material once it starts getting constructed.

Thanks for the advice of all of you experienced quilters!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM

This would be very heavy if you are to make it for a king size bed. Quilts are not bedspreads and don't usually go to the floor. Of coarse you could make it that big if you please. No rules here. I bought a summer weight spread and use my quilts on top of that. This works better than bed ruffles for me. If you are going to do your own quilting, I suggest you look up "quilt as you go" for one that big. It may be easier than quilting a king size on a regular machine.

Good luck and welcome to quilting. It is the best bug I have ever been bitten by.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM

I think you are very brave to even attempt anything that size on a DSM. I think that it would be very heavy. On the other hand, I love it so go for it, and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

My advice would be to have plenty of table space around you to support the quilt when you are sewing so it doesn't become a battle. I did one, and that was my only problem.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM

I think that would be very heavy for your first try. I have never made that pattern but if you like it I would practice on scraps and make a few before starting on your fabric for your quilt. Good luck with it and welcome to the board.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Denim, even the shirt weight kind, is going to be heavy! And cathederal window is going to be a tough go with denim what with the folding and top stitching involved. Even a Muslin and broadcloth cathederal window is relatively heavy once you get all the layers going. Now that we've told you how heavy etc. go for a small sample of it --- be sure to use denim needles (they are heavier and sharp). I would do a small sample (say placemat or tabletopper size) before committing to a king size. That way you can see what the fabric might do and if you want to deal with the extreme challenges of working with denim in such a large project.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

WOW! What an adventuous girl you are!! Go for it. And like she said, have plenty of tables to hold it up.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 AM

I've made several denim quilts with no batting. They are a nice weight & not overly heavy to sleep under. Your bedspread would be heavy overall just due to the size you are making it. That's not a problem, but it can be a little awkward toward the end of the sewing process.

Your construction method makes sense to me, but for something this big I would do it in 4 or more sections then sew them together, rather than doing it a few rows at a time. I think doing by it that way it will be easier toward the end so you won't be sewing a few rows onto the majority of the completed quilt/bedspread. My only other thought would be to make your original circles big, like 12-15", but you can play around with that to see what size you like best.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM

Thank you for all the replies! You guys are fast! One of you mentioned using muslin or broadcloth (instead of the denim) - I had not thought of that, and it might be lighter weight. Denim was just "free" if I could find enough used jeans to cut up! But, the muslin or broadcloth is a good idea too. I'll have to think on it. I will take ones advice and try a few smaller pieces (maybe do some pillows?) and see what I think.
My creative juices are flowing - I hate that when I'm stuck here at work! :-)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM

I'm making this excact pattern but it will be used as a play mat for my grandson outdoors