Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Denim Rag Quilt Expertise? >
  • Denim Rag Quilt Expertise?

• Denim Rag Quilt Expertise?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:58 PM

This post is directed at persons who "have been there, done that", please.

Now that I have an Accuquilt GO and an 8" rag die, I want to use 2 pieces of fabric I bought in the late '90's in a rag quilt. The fabrics are identical but for the background colors. I think it's brushed denim, but am not sure (it says Mayar Silk, Inc. on the selvedge). Because I only have a little over a yard of each color and I don't want the 2 colors butted up to each other, I thought I would use blue denim to tone down the bright colors and add to the size.

This is where my question comes in: I have a varied selection of denim legs cut off of worn-out jeans. This leg denim is still in very good condition, but much of it is pretty stiff and/or thick, whereas the colored brushed denim is soft. Do you think it is a bad idea to combine these 2 fabric types in one rag quilt? Rather than make a mess out of it, I could just buy some brushed denim fabric.
    Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM
    Power Poster

If you are looking for a softer quilt, then maybe go with the brushed denim. If you don't mind if it is stiffer, the denim will be fine :D:D:D
    Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM

there is some thing (or use to have) made by ritz that softened denim i think it was called stone wash it was used to make denim lighter and softer
    Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 PM
    Power Poster

the charm of raggy denim quilts is the variations in denims, colors, weights, textures all working together, use your denim scraps for your denim quilt it will work great.
    Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM

I have constructed denim quilts (both rag and regular) using both kinds of fabrics, and I enjoy the look and feel of it from a texture perspective. As long as the colors are complimentary and to your liking, I see no reason not to.

However, I think the biggest thing to consider here is the preference of the individual whom it is intended for, and perhaps that can sway your decision. Some people like to lay their hands on the quilts as they use them and are sensitive to texture and feel. Some people never touch the outside and are always under it - so they don't have a preference.

Also, on a relevant side note - I would mention that with the thicker denim on the GO! - (I have the same one and die) you will be able to cut less squares with thicker denim at a time, as the threads want to get caught up more in the die with that material (and that fact that it is a rag die to begin with), which you will have to religiously pick out in order to get clean cuts - no matter how new the die is. So I have found that as a result, it's just much better from the get go to cut thinner stacks of the thicker denim as it is less work and practically guarantees a clean cut every time IMO and minimal "threading" of the rag die.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress
    Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 PM

Thanks, everyone!

I find the idea of a variety of shades, etc. of blue denim very attractive and, until I became concerned about the stiffness, I was excited about alternating the colored blocks with blue jean denim. I think I'll just have to experiment a bit. First, I do want to see about getting something that will soften the denim. They used to use a salt wash, but I'd rather not have salt in my washing machine and I don't even know how effective it was.

I won't mind cutting only one square at a time ... it's gotta be better than cutting the rag edges with ANY type of scissors.
    Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 PM

I have made many many demin rag quilts in all weights and styles of demin. One set that comes to mind was memory quilts using demins and shirts. I backed the quilts with flannel. The shirts got batting and the demin blocks didn't. Weight worked out great.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-165571.jpe