Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Densely quilted..after washing?

Densely quilted..after washing?

I am totally new to longarm quilting (still in my meandering stage). I have seen some BEAUTIFUL custom quilting (quilted very densely) but I have been wondering, what do these quilts look like after washing? Or are they intended to never be washed? After washing, can you still see the quilting designs? I would love to see a picture of a densely quilted quilt that has been washed.

Thanks
    Kim

Densely Quilted - after washing?

Not sure if this is dense enough for you but I did a lot of quilting especially in the squares on this T-shirt quilt that ended up being a queen size when done. I used a low-loft cotton batting and tried to do quilting in every square. I washed it already and it came out very soft and actually more puffy and cuddley. I would expect even densely quilted quilts would be more soft and cuddley after washing as well. I suppose it does depend on what the actual intentions are for the quilt. If it's meant to be a wall hanging then I would expect to press the quilt on the back after washing just to give it a very finished look. Otherwise, I would want it to look 'loved' and used.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, they still look great after washing, sometimes even better than before.

Yes... dense quilting looks fine after washing. I find that it helps the over all life expectancy!

I recently did a rather dense pantograph with wool batting. I guess it was the wool batting, but after washing, it crinkled so much that you really have to look hard to see the design. It kind of seems a shame to have taken the time to do a specific feathery pattern that you really can't see easily. I plan to try a less dense pantograph with wool batting when I finally get time to do another and see how that turns out.

I like a quilt that has more dense stitches.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Quote Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
    I recently did a rather dense pantograph with wool batting. I guess it was the wool batting, but after washing, it crinkled so much that you really have to look hard to see the design. It kind of seems a shame to have taken the time to do a specific feathery pattern that you really can't see easily. I plan to try a less dense pantograph with wool batting when I finally get time to do another and see how that turns out.
    (this is surprising to me) I've used lots of wool batts- my favorite batting---and all of them I've used do not shrink --anywhere near as much as a warm & natural batt shrinks- I think it was probably your fabric that shrank---did you prewash your fabrics? the quilt that lives on my bed in the summer time is a whole cloth with wool batting- lightweight, fabulous---the quilting stitches show wonderfully--I know some of the 'big name' quilters use wool batting in their show quilts because it shows the stitching so beautifully.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    (this is surprising to me) I've used lots of wool batts- my favorite batting---and all of them I've used do not shrink --anywhere near as much as a warm & natural batt shrinks- I think it was probably your fabric that shrank---did you prewash your fabrics? the quilt that lives on my bed in the summer time is a whole cloth with wool batting- lightweight, fabulous---the quilting stitches show wonderfully--I know some of the 'big name' quilters use wool batting in their show quilts because it shows the stitching so beautifully.
    I rarely prewash my fabrics and I'm sure I didn't for this one. Maybe that was the problem? The stitching was absolutely lovely before I washed it and I agree the wool batting made it show up so well. It's also softer and fluffier than my other quilts which are made with cotton batting. I'm still happy with the overall look, but yes, this one crinkled significantly more than normal.

They are stil lbeautiful!!!!!

I only do a large FMQ and a few straight line quilting. I don't care for the heavily quilted look. I mostly use a high loft poly batting.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast