Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric >

Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric

Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric

Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Derwent Inktense Pencils on Fabric

I recently ordered a set of Derwent Inktense pencils to play around with and some textile medium...while I'm waiting for them to arrive I had a few questions. For those that have used them - can you stitch through the color on the fabric after you've painted with them? Or does it build up like regular paint to where it cannot be stitched through? I love Sherry Rogers-Harrison's work where she stitches out a design and then goes back and colors...but I'd like to do some paintings on fabric then go back and quilt them. I've experimented with several different paints but all built up to a thickness that really didn't allow for stitching afterwards...and I have a small home and workspace and don't really want to get into dyes unless I have no other option.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM

My daughter had a play with the pencils and drew little dragons and the quilted around them, she went over some of the prncil and didn't have any trouble sewing through it. It does make the fabric a little stiff but it doesn't build up like paint would. Shiva paint sticks are another that are fun to play with. Enjoy your pencils, I would love to see some picures of what you do with them
Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM

I've started using them on labels. As Woody says, the fabric gets a little stiff but nothing to make it hard to stitch through. It might if you layers lots and lots of colors but not just for one or two layers of color. You don't need to use a lot of the medium either, just enough to wet and blend. I really enjoy using them.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:55 PM

Great! Thank you both so much for the feedback. You know how exciting it is when you wait for a new toy or gadget to come in the mail...I've been dreaming up all sorts of fun ways to use them, and I'm excited to know that stitching through the color is a possibility! Yay!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM

Have you tried the Sharpie permanent markers and rubbing alcohol? they give a water-color effect and no stiffness.
I saw it used on silk for scarves and tried it on cotton worked well.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 PM

There are a great many threads about Inktense pencils here. If you do a search you'll find loads of information and experiences others have had with them. Here's one of the best as a sample.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t131922.html
Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cherylsea View Post
I've started using them on labels. As Woody says, the fabric gets a little stiff but nothing to make it hard to stitch through. It might if you layers lots and lots of colors but not just for one or two layers of color. You don't need to use a lot of the medium either, just enough to wet and blend. I really enjoy using them.
Do you have any pictures of that? I would love to try using them on a label!
Old 11-05-2014, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
There are a great many threads about Inktense pencils here. If you do a search you'll find loads of information and experiences others have had with them. Here's one of the best as a sample.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t131922.html
Guess what, I did search them! I even found this thread you shared but thank you for taking the time to post a favorite. I have read quite a bit about Inktense pencils but was curious if anyone stitches through their paintings with them afterwards...or before!

BTW - my pencils arrived yesterday along with fabric medium. I experimented a little yesterday and was able to stitch through my small practice piece...so have quite a bit of hope!! I began a painting/drawing last night and looking forward to stitching it when I'm done. Fingers crossed!