Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Desert Sky >

Desert Sky

Desert Sky

Old 08-11-2018, 03:29 AM

Default Desert Sky

I am having trouble understanding the instructions in this pattern and was wondering if anyone could suggest an instructional book that could help me? I have watched a heap of you tubes on foundation paper piecing but for some reason even though I understand them I just can't for the life of me apply it to the instructions in this pattern. I don't have the opportunity to attend any workshops so am on my own here and struggling to get my head around it. Any suggestions would be great. There is a plethora of books on FPP I could buy but I would prefer something more specific to Judy Neimeyers' technique.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Judy's technique is unique in that she provides templates for the units in the PP pattern that are oversized. This way you can easily line up the odd angles to the paper foundations. So you should have some pattern pieces in the pattern that are having you cut out all your units out of the fabric prior to paper piecing it all together. Then you have all your paper foundation pieces which will form all your blocks. Desert sky is made up of NY Beauty blocks so it is fairly straight forward. Can you be more specific as to what parts of the instructions are confusing you? Also have you ever done any kind of PP before? That in itself can be confusing to someone who has never done it. Once you have the basics of PP down you should be able to understand Judy's pattern.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 AM

Have you looked to see if there is possibly a Facebook group on this pattern or a Yahoo group on it ? They both have some pretty unique groups . Also does her website offer any links for help ?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 AM

Thanks for your responses feline fanatic and rvsfan.
I hadn't thought about Facebook so will have a look. Yes, I have all the templates and understand the "cutting out", I just can't seem to follow how to place them.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I have found in PP it is easier to work with batiks because the difference between right side of fabric and the back is, for the most part, indiscernable. This makes the whole "working in reverse" less problematic for beginning PP. The placement of your first piece on the paper is right side up on the wrong side (back side) of your paper pattern, this is before you have done any sewing. I have found this first placement to be easier if you have a sunny window or a light source to hold the pattern with one piece of fabric so you can see your stitching line through the fabric and you can ensure the fabric covers the entire unit on your paper pattern with seam allowances. You take your second piece and place it right side down on top of your first piece. Sometimes it is easier to pin for this first seam. Then flip the whole thing over so your fabric is on the bottom and your paper is on top and stitch on the line. Take the unit out of your sewing machine, flip it over, trim your seam allowance if necessary then press piece two out and ensure it covers your next stitching line by 1/4". If it is larger this is the step where you fold back the paper at stitching line #2 and trim to 1/4". flatten out your pattern piece again and place fabric piece 3 to line up with your freshly trimmed edge, right sides together and flip the pattern again so the fabric is next to your feed dogs and the paper is facing up. Stitch seam two and continue repeating the steps. Essentially with PP you are assembling a mirror image. Once all done, the paper is on the back of your block.

Here is a good link to make a practice block in PP with step by step directions with pictures. Maybe this will help you?

http://quilterscache.com/StartQuilti...tingthree.html
Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanks very much feline fanatic...I'll have another try this afternoon with my practice fabric perhaps focusing more on how you explained it rather than the instructions in the pattern as that is where for some reason I am having a problem.....I appreciate your help. Have a lovely day.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 PM

Oh dear, my sew line (line 4) extends past my fold line (line 5) so I can't fold it back neatly to trim my 1/4" seam allowance....what do I do....what have I missed? I do feel like a goose.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180812_114726-small-.jpg  
Old 08-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Oh dear, my sew line (line 4) extends past my fold line (line 5) so I can't fold it back neatly to trim my 1/4" seam allowance....what do I do....what have I missed? I do feel like a goose.
Just tear the paper along the stitch line so that you can fold it back. This will come up often; you can even tear an extra inch past the fold line to make removing the papers easier in the end.

Last edited by Jennifer23; 08-11-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 PM

Thankyou so much feline fanatic, rvsfan and Jennifer23.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180812_151811-small-.jpg  
Old 08-11-2018, 10:03 PM

Ruby2shoes, beautiful job done! How fortunate that this board is kept alive by people who are so talented and willing to help. For a few years, I made my living as an illustrator and struggled with visualizing what the front of an object looked like when all I could see was the back. I mistakenly thought that I would be a whiz at the paper piecing. Wrong! A member of the quilting group I belong to mistakenly thought that she had taught me how. Wrong, again. I do admire all of you who have waded into what I see as a quagmire, then you turn mud into beauty.