Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Desiging your own patterns

So...there's a pattern contest I want to enter but I have a tiny question. How do you ever really know that the pattern you design hasn't been done a million times already? There's no way a person can research all the patterns to make sure it hasn't been done before. So, do you just go for it and hope your idea is an original???

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Boy that's a good question. I have 1 quilt that I designed and was thinking of making a pattern for but I worry that it might already exist.

I agree it would be hard but an original block should be something really special and some people just name it something different with different style fabrics and call it new. Everything old is new again approach.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That is something to think about! But geezzzzzzz, there are thousands of patterns!
    I wouldn't worry about it or you'll drive yourself crazy searching!

Blog Entries
    Where can we find the info for the pattern contest...?

Blog Entries
    I'm interested in the answer, too.

Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    I agree it would be hard but an original block should be something really special and some people just name it something different with different style fabrics and call it new. Everything old is new again approach.
    Don't confuse an original pattern with an original block. Patterns do not need to have newly designed blocks to be considered 'original'. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tellabella
    Where can we find the info for the pattern contest...?

This would help in determing the answer to your question.
    That said there are thousands of patterns out there and at least for me it would be hard to change up a block to create something new that hasn't already been done. Your layout, choice of fabrics, etc., would be the factor in it being the pattern for your quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have designed for years, there are public domain blocks which are not copywrited.

When designinng a quilt, it is ok to use them,, & tweak with your own input.

For instance,, I used duck & duckings block,, added sashing, but then added an. Embroidered block which I digitized myself. It was my own quilt design & I marketed it.
    When you enter a contest,, they usually give very detailed requirements, dos & don' ts. Check their info out, usually they only state that you. can' t use copywrited material.

When I have designed for fabric companies, they only require that you use a certain fabric line which they provide. Then your design is judged against other participants & they choose the best design for their fabric line.

It's a jelly roll challenge. The link is http://www.jellyrollquilters.com/page/competition-1

There are some awesome prizes!