i made a lone star earlier this year and boy did i make a mess!
the lone star is gorgeous and flat and all, but it was a gift. due to the grave errors committed in its making, a tremendous amount of fabric was left over.
i am going to hand quilt a large part of the lone star quilt, but in the mean time i really wanted to give the recipient a quilt that used up some of the fabric i couldn't use for her lone star quilt.
so i started with this, a free pattern from connecting threads. i figured it would make a great "header" and is the right width (60 inches) and is 24" long:
the colours aren't great in these images, but in real life the palette is pretty wonderful; all rich blues and purples. the embroidery thread i used is blue and purple, and really pops on the black.
the drawing i made isn't working. i need some design help.
to make a quilt the right size, i now have a 60" x 60" area to piece.
i have these two blocks which i can easily turn into 2 x 20" squares:
i have these uncut pieces, which are all about 1/5 a meter, plus three extra reverse applique squares. i could make more, but this is what i have right now:
and i have about 50 of these lone star strip sets, with an average length of about 18" and then four already pieced strips about 55":