Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Design help! How to feature these blocks?

Design help! How to feature these blocks?

I made these appliqued 'Sunbonnet Sue' blocks to feature in a tot quilt. I need alternate blocks or something that will not compete too much with them. I also want to use the fabric pictured to the left of them somehow - preferably not just on the back! It seemed too busy for that alternate spot. In a border? Thanks for any suggestions! [Sorry the photo turned out sideways! Can't imagine why yet!]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by subyz; 06-01-2016 at 05:05 AM. Reason: My photo is sideways!?

I myself would set them on point with adding triangles to float them. The blocks are really cute. You can try using different colors. I did this with a block exchange.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I happened to see that and LOVED it! I never thought of setting them on point like that. I think that's my #1 option at this point. Thanks 'Mannie'!

Blog Entries
    Ditto to that.

Well, being more of a modern quilter, my first thought is to surround the Sunbonnet blocks with a solid color, and use squares or strips of the fabric along with the blocks. That would showcase the Sunbonnet blocks.
    Lori

trying to stay grateful

I would set them like the SBS in this quilt. Yours would not look quite the same, since your SBS blocks are all different and have different colors in the background, but this setting would emphasize the blocks and you could use your other fabric in the chains and borders.

Blog Entries
    Have you thought of a picture window.....use outside scenes for the alternate blocks that would incorporating the lower fabric, and using it as a border. Just a thought.
    The Future is Now!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    Well, being more of a modern quilter, my first thought is to surround the Sunbonnet blocks with a solid color, and use squares or strips of the fabric along with the blocks. That would showcase the Sunbonnet blocks.
    this would be perfect for your blocks and then use the other for your backing. That way a 2 for 1. could be used either side.

I made (well, it's almost done) a Sue & Sam quilt similar to what Dunster posted, but I actually was thinking that with your gorgeous bright colors, it might do better with a bunch of pale grey, beige, white & ivory fabrics instead of a clear, recognizable pieced pattern. It would create a nice canvas to do some lovely quilting designs while providing a nice backdrop for the applique squares -- great job, by the way, I really love all the details. especially the dog and the flowers. If you keep the other fabrics neutral, your beautiful applique will be able to truly shine in all its glory!

Quote Originally Posted by subyz View Post
    I made these appliqued 'Sunbonnet Sue' blocks to feature in a tot quilt. I need alternate blocks or something that will not compete too much with them. I also want to use the fabric pictured to the left of them somehow - preferably not just on the back! It seemed too busy for that alternate spot. In a border? Thanks for any suggestions! [Sorry the photo turned out sideways! Can't imagine why yet!]
    While your's are not panel pieces, I think this layout (or similar) would work great. It would allow you to put bigger pieces of your other focus fabric into play without being overwhelming. (NOT MY QUILTS OR PHOTOS, JUST GOOGLE IMAGES)

Name:  Panel Magic w.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  174.1 KB

Also, a "warm wishes" setting would highlight your work:

Name:  warm wish.JPG
Views: 1571
Size:  31.2 KB
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast