Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Help >

Design Help

Design Help

Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Design Help

Hi,
I have been asked to make a 'memory' quilt for a sibling of a little girl who has died.
I have collected fabrics that represent things the child enjoyed.
My problem is this: how do I make sense of all the colors and patterns.My plan is to use the Accu-cut cupcake die--with 2 coordinating fabrics I can make 4 different blocks. The little girls favorite color was purple, but not all the fabrics have purple in them. If I make 28 cupcake blocks, I need 28 filler blocks. Should I use the purples for those? White? Purple 9-patch? I have attached pics of the fabrics.
I have collected them from lots of places--(don't even ask how much I paid for that fat quarter of Monsters Inc fabric!)
Do I just go for the whole scrappy idea and forget trying to make things coordinate? I am not good at random scrappy--only planned scrappy!
I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas! I need to get started soon!
thanks so much,
kim
Attached Thumbnails roos-quilt-1.jpg   roos-quilt2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM

How old is the sibling? You could just do a scrappy match up quilt, with two blocks of each fabric for her to find and match (unless, of course, she's a teenager or something!)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

When you say you are going to make cupcake blocks, you mean it will be a square of the cupcake fabric or you will appliqué a cupcake on it? I just googled cupcake quilts & there's alot of ideas there, maybe that might help?
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&s...mg.e2p17uuGiJM
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board! I don't know how much of the light purple you have, but I would put all the cupcakes on the same light purple background, then go with one or more of the dark purples for the filler blocks. A possible issue is that the cupcake die is not large enough to display the print (like the ravens logo). Looks like the base is about 3.5 X 3.5". So another option would be to fussy cut the prints to 4.5 or 5" squares (looks like you have a charm pack in there), then use a couple of the solid purples to border the blocks.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

Can you make an Attic Window or quilt with 6 1/2" blocks of your prints with purple window sills or sashing then save the die cut cupcakes to applique randomly on the outside border?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM

I do what I call a 'cheater' I spy. Original I Spy was hexagons with triangles. Too fussy for me...I just add a triangle in the corner of a 6 1/2 inch block. You still get the star effect, but its a squashed star. I use the cut off triangles to piece flying geese for the border. Kids like to play match game..they match the blocks in the center.

This is not my quilt, but the 1st one is what I make. Also 2 other ideas. Try googling I Spy quilts. You will get MANY ideas!

http://heartsforlinus.blogspot.com/2...py-quilts.html
Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM

I am using the accu quilt cupcake die, it's an appliqué block. I did look at all those google pics- lots of cute stuff there!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
I did think about using the purple for the appliqué background fabric. Do you think that's enough to tie it all together?
i can get more of that if I need it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM

That's a tough one. I think I would use the purple for the background fabric and all the others for coordinating and cupcakes. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies!
I think I will use the light purple for the background for the appliqué cupcake blocks.
Now for the filler blocks. Thinking about using the same purple, and some of the other 2 purples to make 9 patch? Or 4 patch? Or a rail fence maybe? The blocks will be 7", so I don't think just plain squares of fabric will look good.
Thanks for all your help, kim