Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design help! >

Design help!

Design help!

Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Design help!

Hi there I was asked to make a large lap size quilt with sharks on it. So I’m thinking to appliqué the sharks on a supernova panel in light blue that looks like your looking up from the deep water and see the sharks swimming. But the panel is only 46x46 so here is my question.... how do I make it longer and wider? By extending the radiated colors ? I hope that makes sense?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Could you do appliqué or pieced sea weed around the underwater panel. It would kind of look like you have parted the sea weed garden to view the sharks.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Patti, I made an "underwater" quilt last year with one of the Supernova fabrics. Are you using the "rocky" one, or one of the starbursts? If the "rocky" one, you could consider adding some borders, maybe of blue then black Stonehenge fabric. That could add to the underwater rocky effect. I added algae by using some green metallic tulle, and I covered the entire quilt top with a dark blue tulle that had some sparkle to it, then quilted it with metallic thread. If you add borders, the tulle overlay could help blend them with the Supernova a bit. If you'd like to look at mine, I posted it last November with my other "finishes" for 2018. I think you could search for it.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:46 AM

I have the light blue starburst one. I will go look at yours thanks. this quilt is for a Man so I do not want to get to frilly on designs. Thank you
I looked at yours very neat looking. but I need to make it bigger than just the panel

Last edited by patti p; 02-09-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Scroll down .... this web site has lots of ideas for you. There are many panel quilts here that have been enlarged. They are all free patterns too. You can click on any of them for a free pdf download.
https://studioefabrics.net/projects/

I would love to see pics of what you come up with!

I just wanted to add that the pdf files give dimensions for the borders added to the panels. If there are any panels close to the size of your supernova, this might help.

Last edited by mindless; 02-09-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 PM

This panel has lots of borders that make it bigger. It also looks a bit like water. Not too 'girly' either, and it's a free pattern.
If you scroll down, just below the add to cart bar is a download bar. When you click on it, the pdf file automatically downloads to your computer. It has all the sizes of all the blocks and borders.
Maybe you could customize it to fit your panel?
https://www.equilter.com/pattern/1056/ocean-paradise

more panel enlarging ideas here:
https://www.equilter.com/pattern/category/1
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM

thank you that helps.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Can you get a couple more panels and cut them to fit the sides and top when pieced together?