Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
design-a-quilt machine problems >

design-a-quilt machine problems

design-a-quilt machine problems

Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Default design-a-quilt machine problems

Anyone with one of these machines can you help me figure out why the thread breaks when I stop sewing or make a change of direction. I just got this old machine and frame($500) from a friend who couldn't get it to sew, I have worked on cleaning the bobbin case and fixed the cone thread holder so the thread comes off of it even. Tension has been figured out and the stitches are even on bottom and top, stitches look really good, now! Also need to know what size needle it uses, thread route (in case I have it threaded wrong) and about the oil for this machine.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board. I did a search and there was one previous post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ne-t47846.html
Old 02-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Most DSM need maintenance done every 12 to 18 months just like a car. I would take it to a reliable technician and have it checked out thoroughly.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Thanks so much. Guess I should of saved my money and gotten a newer one or stayed with the hand quilting. I have a plan to take it into a shop for a check up but know they will work on me to trade it in on a new one...scared I wouldn't be able to resist. I have a junk quilt in it to play on for now so when I get it done I'll take machine in.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

A few things to check. (1) Do you have the quilt too tight in the frame? The rule-of-thumb for frame quilting is that you should be able to grab a finger pushing up from the bottom. You need a little sag in the quilt to provide "give" as you sew. (2) Run your finger around the needle hole to see if you can feel a burr. Also run your finger around the inside of the bobbin race, and around the outside of the bobbin case. If you find a burr, you can sand it off with an extremely fine sandpaper (such as emery cloth). (3) Are you sure you have the bobbin unwinding in the correct direction? You can try switching the direction, but go slowly and carefully so you don't create a jam if you are wrong. (4) Your top threading may be wrong. You can experiment with this.

(5) You say that tension has been figured out, but I wonder if that is indeed the case. I would *strongly* recommend that you watch the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
You may indeed have the tension correct for a balanced stitch, but the entire tensioning system may be set too high. You want to set the bobbin tension as loose as possible, then set the top tension to create a balanced stitch. If you have not set the tension in this way, both tensions may be too tight.

(6) What size needle are you currently using, and what type?

(7) And what brand of thread? Some threads are better suited to longarm quilting than others. I would highly recommend trying Glide thread. I have had other threads break or shred in my midarm setup; Glide never does.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM

Thank you for your information Prism99. I may have quilt to tight since that is the way I do them in my hand quilting frame. The needle, I only have the one that came in it , what I can make out it is an Organ 10 maybe 19, have trouble seeing even with magnifying lamp. It doesn't have a flat side like sewing machine needles on the shaft. And it may also be the thread, using what she gave me. Most of my thread is for hand quilting or reg. sewing. I had watched the you tube and that is how I realized she had the bobbin way to tight also the upper tension was way to tight. At first it made a mess of the stitches on the bottom and I did a lot of ripping out LOL!! Cause the top stitches looked good, now I check the bottom every time I start. So I will loosen quilt some, pick up some good thread and see about taking it in to sewing center for a check up. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 AM

Thanks Prism99 will loosen quilt in frame, had watched same you tube to learn about the tension when I first got the machine, checked for burrs when cleaning machine, had tried bobbin both ways, have threaded machine every way possible and it is working best the way it is now. Needle is a Organ 10 or 19, from what I can see with my magnifying lamp. It doesn't have a flat side like sewing machine needles. THREAD is more than likely the problem using what she had on the machine since most of mine is reg thread for sewing machines and hand quilting thread. Will get Glide thread when I go to town and see about taking machine is to the sewing center which is an hour away from home. Thanks again to all who have helped me figure out this obsolete machine.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Well now everyone can see I have a memory problem and also not to good with a PC either. I have a Singer Futura 600 that I have not figured out how to use also... because of the computer usage part scares me.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Heather Elaine View Post
Will get Glide thread when I go to town and see about taking machine is to the sewing center which is an hour away from home.
I believe the only place you can get Glide thread is online:
http://www.bobbincentral.com/quiltin...ead/glide.html

Call or email the company so you can get just one spool of Glide thread to try out; otherwise I think the minimum order would be $35. There are a few quilters whose machines don't like Glide, but it seems to be the thread that works without problems for quilting in almost all longarm and domestic machines.

Maybe take the needle in to your shop to see about getting replacement needles of the same type. Usually you want at least a size 14 in a frame setup, and often size 16 is even better.

You might want to start a separate thread about the Singer machine, as many Singer owners will not read this far into a thread about a frame quilting machine.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:40 PM

omg! After reading the link to amazon in the other thread, I googled Dan Puckett (quilt, not wrestler) and got an eyeful about the quilt he destroyed by throwing bleach on it at the International Quilt Show in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...lt-2122468.php

I'd pass on the machine: it's no longer being made nor supported.

Eeeeek! After more research, be aware that the machines have a tendency to catch fire.

Opps! I posted this in the "other" thread. But copied it here after reading about the lawsuit and the problems with the machine catching on fire.

Owners: please be careful!