Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Design-a-Quilt quilting machine

Has anyone heard of the longarm professional quilting machine by Design-a-quilt? One is being sold used and I have never heard of it before. Also, I can confirm there is such a machine, but no web information on it. I have a phone number, but thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks for your help.

You might want to google DAQ quilting machine and read the "Quilty as Charged: Undercover in a Material World."

They are out of business now for many different reasons. Bottom line--stay away from it. Keep saving for a machine built and backed by a reputable company. I would suggest Bailey Home Quilter and Voyager at the low end of the price range. If you've got a few more pennies to spend--check out the Fun Quilter, Tin Lizzie/Viking Mega 18 x 8/Pfaff Grand Quilter, Pennywinkle, KenQuilt and the Homesteader. If you've got lots of extra pennies, check out the Handiquilter HQ 16, Fusion & Avante.

If you won the lottery--go for a Gammil, APQS, or A-1 and get it all--computerized, in home setup & training, auto advance, hydraulic lifts, etc.

Thank you so much for the information! I was sure there must be issues or why no information. I am saving for a Baily Homequilter, but get a little impatient. Thanks for your wisdom.

Yes there is a quilting machine by that name I had one and sold it .

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchalong View Post
    Has anyone heard of the longarm professional quilting machine by Design-a-quilt? One is being sold used and I have never heard of it before. Also, I can confirm there is such a machine, but no web information on it. I have a phone number, but thought I would ask if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks for your help.
    I had one of those machines about 5 years ago and sold it, worked pretty good, but could not find parts for it.

I just bought a used DAQ-12 quilting machine, unfortunately it was before I saw the above information....I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a manual for this machine.....It works well for a few inches, then thread breaks....HELP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ttratt View Post
    I just bought a used DAQ-12 quilting machine, unfortunately it was before I saw the above information....I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get a manual for this machine.....It works well for a few inches, then thread breaks....HELP!!!!
    On the needle plate, there could possibly be a small burr. Easy to fix, run some round sanding paper through the hole.
    Also, if it has the tall thread guide behind the thread, it may need to be bent a small amount forward.
    These were the two main problems with mine and thread breakage.
    My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.

I have one, I've had it for a long time. It's not the machines fault that the builder was a jerk. Anyway , they're not being made any more so that's why you can't find a manual.
    Ttratt, you're probably moving the machine too fast or it's not threaded right. Do you have a threading diagram?
    Is the bobbin in right? I think it needs to be going clockwise. Also some thread works better than others. Use a good strong thread.
    Another problem I had was having the tension on the quilt itself. The quilt itself should have some give in it.
    I have a "sort of" manual. It doesn't have much info but if you want I could scan it and e-mail it to you. Pm me if you want it.
    Last edited by cindynvb; 05-29-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    Cindy B from MA