Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design suggestions would be much appreciated. >

Design suggestions would be much appreciated.

Design suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM

I would add a strip of the blue fabric to the top of 1/2 of the blocks then a strip to the bottom of 1/2 of the blocks. Then alternate the blocks & they won't all be in a row. You did a nice job on all of your leaves!
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

​Try the blocks on point?
Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/5714194988/

I've always loved this one, and its leaves resemble yours. Maybe there's an idea there.

hugs,
Charlotte, hoping the link will work
Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

I can't seem to think of anything. There is just so much of the bright blue. Test out some of the ideas that other quilters have posted and see if it helps.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me suggestions. When I posted I was a little down because the quilt was so uninteresting. Peggi, Comice & Nancy: You suggested "wonky". If you look really hard at the second photo you can see that I have surrounded each leaf with uneven triangles. Since I used the same fabric the wonky just blended right in. If I had used a different fabric as B. Polston did I would have more movement. Well live and learn. Annie & Tartan you both suggested on point. My immediate reaction was; but the leaves are already on point. Well duh, they're on point but not at right angles. I just quickly shifted the blocks (see picture) and got a lot more movement. Nammie: Your suggestion makes sense. The leaf pattern originally came from a Judy Martin quilt that had a neutral checker board behind it. Nammie, Lisa & Charlotte: I'm still clinging to the leaves in the sky concept so am trying not to introduce another fabric. Charlotte: I like the flickr quilt, it captures that same idea only floating in water rather than air. Wendy and Maminstl: If I can't get enough movement by turning the blocks on point using spacers or offsets are going to be my next try. Peggi: Your suggestion re different sized leaves in conjunction with on point I think will work. I want to piece smaller leafs and randomly place them in the insets and applique some on the body of the quilt. I think this will make more movement and create more interest. Maniac: I know what you mean about the intensity of the blue but I did that on purpose because the sky on a clear autumn day is just like that. The on point and the smaller leafs may help the eye see the leaves more, strangely enough the leaves are a lot more intense in person. Thank you everyone, sure didn't want this to turn into another UFO.
Attached Thumbnails p7070007.jpg  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

choice #1.I would take all the center blocks out of the quilt and only use the outside ones for a border.

Now pull all the fall colored fabric from your stash and piece other leaves, light leave on dark background and visa- versa.

Choice #2. Take the sashing off the leaf blocks so the leaves will touch each other, no sashing. Add a few extra pieces of blue, randomly throughout the top so the leaves have a more varied distribution.

Choice #3. Send the blocks to me! ha ha

What ever you do with the info you gather, This is going to be an awesome quit.
peace
Old 07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

If it is still too organized after you put it together, you can always get some large-leaf fabric, back it with iron-on interfacing, fussy-cut the leaves and iron them at random over your top.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Beautiful colors and fabric choices. I would watch a video with leaves falling and get a sense of the randomness. Cluster some. Turn them different directions , place some in a growing heap at the bottom? I'm just trying to think of the natural way leaves fall. Yes, different sizes too. Can't wait to see your next draft!
Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM

I love the leaves, they are just beautiful! But I do agree with maminstl that offsetting them would be nice! Post it again when you figure out what to do ok?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 AM

Maybe applique some smaller leaves closer to the bigger ones? In my (very humble) opinion, it's beautiful, but if you want it to look like falling leaves, some of the leaves need to be closer together, some farther apart. But I know that's kinda hard to do when piecing a quilt. Just my opinion......