Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design time >

Design time

Design time

Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Question?????

It seems to me that I spend a lot of time making decisions.................How about you?

What block?

What finished size?

What fabrics?

What layout?

What borders?

Sometimes it's an on going process. One step last Christmas. Another decision about mid March, another 2 weeks later---------------until I've got half a year into deciding.

Somedays, I almost wish I could allow myself to do a kit quilt------------------well, no, not really.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Google Goddess

Yes, I agree, will follow this thread for more ideas for all of us
Old 08-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

One of my jobs was as a drafter so it is easy for me to sketch out patterns and draft them to scale. Sometimes, I let my inner 6-year-old come out and play with grid paper and color pencils. Yep, often the design phase takes its own sweet time.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
klc

Me too! I have a hard time making that 1st cut. I'm afraid to use that special fabric. What if I want it for something else? Right now I'm designing a tote to hold my supplies for class. So many things to consider . . . how big? . . . how many pockets? . . . zipper? . . . how long for the handles? . . . I'm just glad I'm not the only one!! A kit? Nah, I'll just keep doing my own thing . . . slow as she goes . . .
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
One of my jobs was as a drafter so it is easy for me to sketch out patterns and draft them to scale. Sometimes, I let my inner 6-year-old come out and play with grid paper and color pencils. Yep, often the design phase takes its own sweet time.
I don't have a bit of trouble drawing out my pattern-------or knowing what size to cut. It's DECIDING what size of block I want.

I do mostly personal sized quilts, more or less 54 wide and 72 long.

9 rows of 7
or 8 rows of 6 or
10 rows of 8
or.................

Yet, I'm pretty sure of what I like!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by klc
Me too! I have a hard time making that 1st cut. I'm afraid to use that special fabric. What if I want it for something else? Right now I'm designing a tote to hold my supplies for class. So many things to consider . . . how big? . . . how many pockets? . . . zipper? . . . how long for the handles? . . . I'm just glad I'm not the only one!! A kit? Nah, I'll just keep doing my own thing . . . slow as she goes . . .
I think one of my big hang ups is wanting what I WANT! A kit is what someone else wants, and just not for me.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

This is why I have several projects going all at once LOL :D:D:D
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM

I have o trouble deciding on the pattern -- I can sketch something out pretty well or grab a pattern or maybe find a block I like. The rub comes when I try to pick fabrics -- I see way too many possibilities -- I could lay out 3-5 differnt combinations and then have trouble trying to choose which one to do...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I have o trouble deciding on the pattern -- I can sketch something out pretty well or grab a pattern or maybe find a block I like. The rub comes when I try to pick fabrics -- I see way too many possibilities -- I could lay out 3-5 differnt combinations and then have trouble trying to choose which one to do...
;-) I hear you there sister. Sometimes I'll make different blocks just to see what they look like. If I am not careful I'll run out of that fabric. Too many blocks to try. BrendaK
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I understand that, too!