Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Design Wall Fabric >

Design Wall Fabric

Design Wall Fabric

Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I use large pieces of warm and natural batting that is leftover from other quilts and sewn together.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM

I use the back of a vinyl table cloth, but things fall off all the time, maybe because it is not up against a solid wall. I have the tablecloth mounted above sliding closet doors with two large magnets that DH pulled out od some old speakers. I think I will try a piece of fleece and see if that works better for my location.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I used black fleece for my design wall. It's stretched on four foot widths of tentest. Total wall size 10'x7'-1/2".

It's been up for over two years now ... and I can't imagine working with out it. I NEVER need pins ..... and have had full sized quilts totally sewn together displayed on it for weeks at a time. (pressed and waiting to go for quilting)

I also made some smaller portable design walls with the offcuts. Works great at the sewing machine and iron. Or for just putting a few pieces together.
Wow. That's very interesting. Wish I had known that. I have flannel on my
design wall. Works quite well but I have to use pins for big blocks and will
definitely not hold a full quit top. Next time I might opt for fleece. Thanks
for your tip. :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
Originally Posted by QuiltE
I used black fleece for my design wall. It's stretched on four foot widths of tentest. Total wall size 10'x7'-1/2".

It's been up for over two years now ... and I can't imagine working with out it. I NEVER need pins ..... and have had full sized quilts totally sewn together displayed on it for weeks at a time. (pressed and waiting to go for quilting)

I also made some smaller portable design walls with the offcuts. Works great at the sewing machine and iron. Or for just putting a few pieces together.
Wow. That's very interesting. Wish I had known that. I have flannel on my
design wall. Works quite well but I have to use pins for big blocks and will
definitely not hold a full quit top. Next time I might opt for fleece. Thanks
for your tip. :thumbup:
It's been a real blessing ... and I love the black colour. I had never heard of a design wall, and once I did, I tried a few things and then made the full commitment ... and have never regretted it!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM

My design wall is made with a large piece of cardboard with batting glued to it and felt over the batting.I glued the felt to the back of the cardboard. I hung it with shower curtain rings along the top section and put a dowel through the rings and hung it on my wall.
Works like a charm:)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM

My design wall is made with a large piece of cardboard with batting glued to it and felt over the batting.I glued the felt to the back of the cardboard. I hung it with shower curtain rings along the top section and put a dowel through the rings and hung it on my wall.
Works like a charm:)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM

I bought 2 8x4 sheets of foam insulation, less than $12 for both, and screwed them to the wall side by side. I can pin blocks to them, (using longer quilting pins)but they won't stay up by themselves, I will cover it all with fleece. even pinning it really helps. I also have a 3x3 ft square of cardboard coved with fleece for smaller work at the sewing machine.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 PM

I first covered my design boards with batting. Worked great but I decided I'd like the look of a marbled flannel better. So I took it down and recovered it. Big mistake. Flannel doesn't hold without pinning. Since we're moving again, it is all disassembled. May try fleece this time. Sounds like many of you are happy with that choice.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Best way to try fleece ...... put a remnant on the wall with painter's tape. Stretch it out well, so it's nice and flat/tight.

That's the way I tried it and then said, oh yessss!

Bonus, it's wider than the flannelette, so fewer seams. I wrapped mine around each of the boards, and then put each board on the wall side by side, flush. The boards/tentest are soft enough you can put in pins ..... sometimes I put the pattern up or leave notes to myself aka bulletin board corner!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:04 AM

I used a gridded light weight flannel that I bought online (either from Connecting Threads or Keepsakes). It is mounted with spray adhesive on some type of foam board that I bought at Home Depot so that I can stick pins in it. The foam board comes in 4'x8' sizes so I bought 2 making my design wall 8'x8'. It works well for me.